Mid Shaft Bearing

61cruizer

Well Known Member
The mid shaft bearing on my '61 finally played out. Under torque, it would flex enough to let the universal joint strike the tunnel. I ordered the heavy duty replacement unit, and while I have access to a lift, thought I'd go ahead and replace the universal joints and rear control arm (upper & lower) bushings. Any surprises there or is there anything to watch out for?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What do you mean by the HD unit? Is it the aluminum one with the poly bearing? Somewhere around $100.

CATS 09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Remember, because the new center bearing is in a fixed position, you need to have a splined section added to your rear driveshaft to account for suspension travel.

61cruizer

Well Known Member
Is the "factory" one not in a fixed position, or does it's rubber internals account for that flex??

61cruizer

Well Known Member
MidShaftBearing.jpgAccording to the Tech guys at Eckler's, this one is just a pure replacement for the factory unit, and doesn't require any change to the drive shaft. It's just a sturdier mount, with poly internals, rather than the cheap rubber. It still flexes like the factory unit, but is not as prone to failure.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The one I had moved in and out of the poly like a little tunnel. Never a problem. When new they appear to be solid.

61cruizer

Well Known Member
Almost all back together...got the midshaft bearing, new U joints, drive shaft, and upper control arm bushings all back in and driving, but was unable to complete the replacement of the lower control arm bushing install. They are obviously original, and won't budge, so it is likely I'll damage the mounting bolts that also serve as the rear shock mounts trying to wrangle them out. Back to Ecklers, and $46.99 later, new shock mount bolts are headed my way...Good news is, the slight vibration I've had since I bought the car is gone. Must have been that mid shaft bearing....

61cruizer

Well Known Member
New shock mount bolts arrived today....they look pretty good, quality wise. Now to secure more time on the lift...