Middletown Middie

sexybabyjamie

I am glad I found this site. If you missed the 348/409 era, between 58 and 65, you missed a very special time. I don't know why but in those days the W engine was riduculed by many small block Chevy fans, and to a lesser extent, Ford and Mopar lovers. Mabey because when mated to a Turboglide, as most were, it was a real dog. Believe me when I tell you, when hooked to a stick shift, it was almost always a winner on the strip or on the street. Even in those days a 348 c.i. engine was not large. All other big three brands offered engines with more displacement. The only real competition for the 348 came from the much larger 389 pontiac's, and in 61, Fords 390 c.i./375/401 H.P. engines. Even so, I saw 348's win more often than its much larger Pontiac cousin. Had the 348 been a 368, it would have been no contest.
I had a 61 Chevy rag top equiped with a 348/280 H.P. engine mated to a factory installed 4 speed transmission and ran many 62 Chevys that had 327/300 H.P. engines w 4 speed trannys and 55,56,57 Chevys, that had 327 Vet short blocks, and never got beat. Once while sitting in a buddies car at the local drive in some guys pulled in next to us in a 62 Impala with a 300 H.P. 327 and commented how cheap looking the front end of the 61 Chevy sitting across the lane looked. This happined to be my 61 so I had to call him out. When I beat him, 4 times, I asked him if he thought the back end looked as cheap as the front end. That was my most remembered race. Once I beat a 406 Ford rag top. I don't know who was more surprised, me or him; probably him. To be fair to Ford fans, I must admit, I got beat by another 406 Ford. The only other car that beat me was a 61 Chevy equiped with a 350 H.P. 348 engine. This car belonged to Dean LaPole and I believe was the last race Dean had with this car before taking delivery of his new 63 409. He beat me about the same as the 406 Ford did.
In those days I hung out with a person well known on this site; Fred Totten. It was only yesterday that I found out of his passing.
Many of my buddies, Dean LaPole, Bob Wallace, Bugs Wilson, and Fred Totten had 409's that were consistent winners, year after year, at the local drag strips. If any of you doubt Freds claim to a 11:57 et run---don't. I did not see this happin, however, I did see the same car run an 11:80 et at Mountain Park Dragway near Clay City Ky. on a hot day at a high elevation.
If any of you readers remember me I would love to hear from you. My E-mail address is (don't laugh) sexybabyjamie@aol.com.

wc chevys

Well Known Member
I don't know you, but my brother now has Fred's car and is very interested in any history on Fred or either cars.He met Fred at one of the drag strips and started talking to him on the phone a good bit, and tried to follow his racing. So if your interested and know any history or just good stories please respond and I will post our shop number to reach him

sexybabyjamie

Freds cars

Fred bought a new 409 in 63 and raced it in 63 and 64 winning several trophies. I don't remember how many. In 64 Fred sold that car and bought a 65 with the 400 H.P. 409 engine. As far as I know this car was never raced on the strip. In 65 Fred and Dean LaPole decided to pool there resources and form a team. Dean also had a 63 409/425 H.P. engine. Both had become frustrated by G.M.s decision to drop out of racing. By this time the 426 Mopars were dominating the the drag strips with et's in the high 11's and low 12's. They knew that the limited number of 63 Chevys running the famous 427 Z11 engine, a variant of the 409, was able to compete with the Mopars and figured so could a 409. They decided to build a 409 that could beat these mighty 426 Mopars. So in early 65 Fred and Dean hooked a trailer to the above mentioned 65 Chevy and towed Deans 409 to Hayden Profitts shop in California. The engine was blueprinted and bored .60 over to accept 13.5 to 1 forged aluminum pistons giving it 421 cubic inches. It should be noted that NHRA rules allowed the Mopars running in S/S to bore engines .30 over. Also installed was a Sig Erson cam with a 565 lift. This cam allowed the engine to rev to 8,000 RPM, unheard of for a 409. 421 c.i was the limit that would qualify this car to run in a new NHRA class. I think it was B modified production. They wanted to get a set of Z11 heads and the matching intake but could not locate a set. They had to re-install the regular heads. When the car was started, the exhaust coming out of the finder well headers blasted holes several inches deep in the sun baked soil and scattered pebbles damaging paint on the cars parked on each side. The 13.5 to 1 compression ratio along with the cam made it a real ground pounder. After a few trial runs they were able to get consistent et's in the low 12's and high 11's. Early in the season they beat a 40 Ford that had a 352 c.i. small block Chevy that had not been beat in over a year. This was after the other car pulled a hole shot. During the season I saw this car beat several 426 Mopars and even a 63 Z11 427 Chevy. The best time I ever saw was a scorching 11:80 second run at Mountain Park Dragway near Clay City, Ky. This strip was in Ky's mountains so it had a high elevation and it was a hot day. The best run ever, run at a strip at a lower elevation, was a 11:57 blast. Keep in mind this car did not have the Z11 top end. A few 62 409's, with the Z11 top end, ran et,s in the 11,s. This was well over a half a second lower than a regular 409. Had they had Z11 parts I think they would have broken into the tens.
A couple of years later I got married and later moved to Texas, losing contact with Fred and all of my 60's drag racing buddies. On a return trip to Middletown, Ohio in 1997, I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and noticed a beautiful 63 black Chevy with 409 flags. It looked just like Fred's old car so I parked next to it. While admiring it I heard someone knocking on the windows and saw Fred waving at me from inside. I went in and asked him if it was the same car he bought new in 63. He said it was not. He said he ran across it a year or so earlier and it was painted red. He told me one evening he was thinking about his old black 409, and on the spur of the moment, began pulling off the trim so he could paint it black. It was a carbon copy of his old one. That was the last time I saw him.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Knowing Fred, he probably told you about many of the above mentioned events, which some people find hard to believe. If you had any doubts you can put them aside. It is all true.
Also when I last saw Fred he gave me a homemade movie called drag racing in the 60,s. If he gave you a copy you will see a white 61 Impala rag top with chrome wheels. That was my car. The race you see this car running was the F stock trophy run which I won in 3rd gear. On that day I was running a 308 gear and still won. The black 63 409 was the same car that was later towed to California. If you don't have a copy lots of Freds friends do so perhaps you can get one. It is real interesting.
I have since lost this movie and would love to buy another copy. If you have one or know someone that does please let me know. My E-mail address is sexybabyjamie@aol.com
Sincerely, Jim Davis

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It's great to hear from you, I didn't doubt any of Freds stories about his 409 cars, some of his other storys, well I don't know. Fred was a very special man. All that knew him here miss him very much. He was a good freind. We hope to hear from you often.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Jim, thanx for that story. I never doubted Fred's claims. I only knew him for a few years but he is in my heart. Dean, Fred and my father Bob Walker Uncle Tom Sneden raced each other in funny cars. our car was the Bob Banning Dodge.
a few years ago. alot of us 409 car owners raced with Fred at Clay City Ky. for me, that was the last time i saw him. your right, he is fondly remembered by all. as is Dean LaPole. Fred convinced all of us to meet him at Norwalk Oh. dragway in 2005 so we did and it was worth it for all involved. his car wasnt ready though and we had to convince him to bring it anyway (unfinished) mostly the shifter and some details. I was one of many to help with those details and got to drive the car first (roadtesting the new jerico and Long inline shifter) anyway thanx.

Attachments

• soosad1.jpg
    soosad1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 90
  • soosad2.jpg
    soosad2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 87

wc chevys

Well Known Member
Thanks for the reply Jim,yes we have one of the movies,we only knew Fred a short time also but thought the world of him.Cubby (my brother) talked to Fred alot on the phone wright up till he went in the hospital

sexybabyjamie

Dean LaPole

I take it that we have lost Dean also---dam it. The last time I saw Dean was in the late 60's prior to his moving to California. I would be interested to hear about any racing activities that Fred and Dean were involved in you may know about. I think a new thread should be started titled Totten/LaPole. I am sure many others out there would recognize the names and add to it possibly making it the longest and best thread ever.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, You may not be aware how important Fred was to this site. Fred was the " Man ". I'm sure you would enjoy reading his posts. You can access them by going to members list and clicking on SS425HP Yes, Dean passed away a few years ago.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim:
I love hearing your stories!!
Fred gave me a couple of his DVDs on the racing you were just talking about. Dean came back to our 348 409 National Convention in 2004 and that was the first time they had seen each other in 20 years. Dean was gone about 2 years later.
PM me your address and I will mail you a copy of Fred's DVD and a copy of the convention for you to enjoy!! Fred's car in it too.
Phil

sexybabyjamie

Freds quote

Jim, thanx for that story. I never doubted Fred's claims. I only knew him for a few years but he is in my heart. Dean, Fred and my father Bob Walker Uncle Tom Sneden raced each other in funny cars. our car was the Bob Banning Dodge.
a few years ago. alot of us 409 car owners raced with Fred at Clay City Ky. for me, that was the last time i saw him. your right, he is fondly remembered by all. as is Dean LaPole. Fred convinced all of us to meet him at Norwalk Oh. dragway in 2005 so we did and it was worth it for all involved. his car wasnt ready though and we had to convince him to bring it anyway (unfinished) mostly the shifter and some details. I was one of many to help with those details and got to drive the car first (roadtesting the new jerico and Long inline shifter) anyway thanx.

I see the humor in Freds quote "The older we get the faster we used to be." However the sad truth is "the older we get the quicker we'll get there"

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Totten / LaPole

King_Camaro_Post_Card1.jpg

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim Davis

Hey Jim. do you or did you work for Dallas/Mavis...... Acton Transport ??

Dave