Mike Schmitz RIP

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My mentor/friend/wrench Mike passed away yesterday from a massive stroke he had a few days ago. Some of you might remember him with me at Great Bend and also he was along at Union Grove a couple years ago. Grey haired guy, heavyset, moved around kind of slow, and was kind of quiet. He did quite a bit of work on the Crusher and helped me get the car to where it is today. He was a small block guy to the core and only ran stick cars. He built a lot of engines for other racers and had a repair shop called La Porte City Performance. He had some problems with his left foot the last couple of years. Ronnie told him he might have to go to a glide. Mike's reply was "I'll quit racing before I Schmitz.jpgdo that." He was a long time member of the Ozark Mountain Super Shifters. He held several records with the 57 pictured, running a 283 back in the 60's & early 70's. His current car was the Camaro pictured. He loved putting on a show with his wheel stands. He raced for over 50 years and really enjoyed it when he could find a way to beat the rule book. He was just an all around great guy just like most racers. Sorry about the Camaro pic being goofy.

Attachments

• Schmitz1.jpg
    Schmitz1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 33

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sorry to hear about your close friend Dave ,I know what you are going through. I lost a good friend to brain cancer about two years ago My other friend and I talk about him all the time ,you never forget them.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Sorry to hear this sad news. Knew Mike for about 40 years. Great guy. He rebuilt a muncie for me a few years ago. I lived in LaPorte City for 18 years and knew his son Chris very well. RIP Mike.

Fuzz

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Always sad to hear of people moving on, but very warm when you learn of them and their story. Sounds like he had good one and touched many with a love for racing.. Thanks for sharing the pics and great story about his dedication to slammin gears! I bet he and ronnie are discussing it now, ha!