Milt Schornack, the man who put the get up and go into GTOs, dies at age 85

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Gran Trusomo Omologato......remembering that from when they came out. A guy in town had one of the first ones, nothing could touch it. Claimed some magic was done from the factory. Went through lots of tires.

Really like the body styles of the first couple or three years.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I purchased my 1964 GTO from my Physics Professor at Case Western Reserve University. Gave $400 for her in 1970 (actually May 4th, the day of the Kent State shooting, for those of you who remember. Painted her Hugger Orange and put on new wheels and tires and at the end of the summer sold her for $600 to use for College tuition, I thought I was rich with six $100 bills in my hand and I was only 19 :).

Cheers! TomK

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
As my 348-409.com name suggest that’s where I grow-up and live now.
visited Royal Pontiac many time in my teen years around 1961-67, but never purchased a Pontiac, always had Chevy Impala. Always in the back corner stalls were one or two of the race GTO’s car to look over.
But in 1970 I walked into Royal once again and purchased a 70 Grand Prix that was sitting on the showroom floor.
Had all this money saved while in the VA Hosptal. Put the full amount on the salesman’s desk, in $100 bills and drove out the dealership that very day. Damn car had the longest hood ever.

Dave

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
SJ? Friend of mine who was a couple years older came back home having lost both legs. He was a real wild man and could do wheel chair wheelies endlessly. Bought a SJ Grand Prix with hand controls and pretty much destroyed it in about a year. Got fitted with two prosthetics and was very coordinated walking and occasionally running a short way. He lived in a house across the street from an Exxon (Esso) station I worked at and hung out there both before and after his service. He has lived in Florida for years and I have a little contact through Facebook.