Miss at idle & at cruise speed

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Put the intake with gaskets on and look down the bolt holes at the threads in the head.If they're not relatively center of the hole there's a mis match issue here.It sounds like smeone tried to get the gaskets to seal by over tightening the manifold. Torque spec.for the intake is 30 ft.lbs.

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
Gottcha there Don, thanks will do that after company heads back home tomorrow & I can get my head back in focus. Used the Pontiac Safari to go to show on Sunday with our guests. Good show, over 600 vehicles & majority I'd never seen before which makes it much more interesting!!!

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
Got the intake back on and torqued to 30 lbs. [ not 150+ that they were?] & flat & lock washers, [none before] hand cranked engine over to TDC [with help from girlfriends thumb over # 1 s/plug hole] & installed the distributor. have the carb. coil & wires, & coolant hoses to hook up. Hope to "light" it up today

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
Is it a solid lifter motor, check your valve lash
well your close!! Still had DEAD # 5 after firing it up, Hydraulic lifters [340HP] so after scratching my head & a lot of swearing, I gave both int. & exh. rockers a 1/4 turn & fired it again, YEA # 5 firing!!! Re set all valves with it running to 1 full turn little by little, dead # 5 so took it another 1/4 & it started firing. After cleaning up all the oil mess & getting R/C back on "Road Test" Runs 95% better but still slight hesitation at 55 & on take off then comes on strong, leaning now towards "Carb" as this car sat for 17 yrs. with limited start ups & short drives !!! I'm assuming that these 2 lifters are weak or gummed up??? or I have a carbon build up it that cyl???? When turning on to my street & down shifted to 2nd. and light throttle it hesitates then comes on like you put your boot in it! Gave it a good shot on hwy. in 3rd at 50mph and after "peeling my head off back window the "smile" came back!!!!!! No play in timing chain,as I checked that out too

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am no carb guru but my 4 gc’s all worked like that, a slight hesitation as you come off idle or a lower rpm.
Maybe it needs a good hot run for 2-400 miles at say 75 mph to clean the valves and gum out of the carb? With Sea Foam in the gas.

427John

Well Known Member
While increasing the pump shot may mask a tip in flat spot it may not be the root cause,I like your plan of running some seafoam thru the fuel system and then re-evaluating,it may be something as simple deteriorating fuel or a little water in the fuel.But the valve adjustment issue definitely warrants further investigation.

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
Well it ran like a "Bag of "$hit" on road test yesterday. Have rocker cover off "AGAIN" & noticed the # 5 exhaust rocker is much higher on stud than others, and valve open on TDC??? with hardly any threads showing on stud nut. Beat on rocker with rubber mallet, like hitting the floor, but intake has some movement when hit. Intake coming off "AGAIN" as I suspect the lifter is seized in pumped up position ??? Checked with local Car Quest and they say lifters same as SBC??? Also made sure that P/ rods weren't reversed , long one on exh. This is "really Pi$$ing me of

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I was thinking the same thing Cecil. Yes the lifters are the same for the small and big block as well as the W engine.

427John

Well Known Member
If you can get a long straight edge and put it across the tops of the exhaust rocker studs and the intake rocker studs you can use that as a rough gauge to see if any studs are pulling out.While they will seldom be perfectly aligned and will have small gaps if one has pulled enough to affect the way the engine runs it should leave a noticeable gap.

427John

Well Known Member
Upon re-reading your post #35 the fact the rocker is higher on the stud than the others sounds more like a longer than needed pushrod, a shorter than needed rocker stud,or as you suspect a lifter stuck at the top of its travel.Since there are more than 1 length of sbc press in studs available someone may have mistakenly installed the wrong 1 at some point.Sounds like you have some engine turning and measuring to do,good luck.

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
measured the length of studs with vernier caliper as my thoughts too!! But they are all the same length to head boss!!! This story will continue on Monday when I pull intake off again & really get into this!! Family BBQ tomorrow, & "BEER" maybe involved to "calm" my mind that's going "overtime" !!!!!