more work done

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I believe I saw that a while ago. Looked good. I hope to see some strip time next year. I know I have been saying that for years, but time works against me. I believe all that is left is rear sticky tires and swap to some drag shocks and it should go down the track O.K. I hope to hang a wheel or two. :dunno Time will tell.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hope I see some strip time next year too. It's been about 3 years since mine moved more than 50 yards from where it sits now. I am pretty confident you will be able to snatch both fronts....the driver's side about 6" to a foot I bet.

IDK why what I typed above turned BOLD.....can't figure out how to get it back to normal and too lazy to retype it. LOL

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I can only hope to pull both fronts. Sure would be nice. When the time gets closer, I will have to get some chassis set-up info from everybody here. For this year I will just drive it and work out any bugs. Seems good so far.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think yours will do it. Long post, but this should give you an idea of what it took for my 61:

I pulled the driver's front about 8" and the passengers just enough to see daylight under it with my old 468 combo. It was built as a budget driver combo when I was just out of high school back in the early 90's.
454 bored .060", Bone stock/no porting oval port open chamber heads with nothing but a spring change and valve job. (2.06"/1.72" valves) Elgin 292H camshaft (230*/232* @ .050" - .544" lift - 110* LSA - 106* ICL - if I'm off some on the specs it is not by more than a couple degrees....loved that little cam and it was less than $125 for cam, lifters, and springs....gave me years of service)
TRW forged 10.5:1 pistons, Edelbrock Torker II 2-O Intake, 600 cfm Holley Double Pumper (was the biggest DP I could find/afford, and it out performed a 750 vac secondary Holley AND a 750 Edelbrock so I ran it.) "Shorty" 1 3/4" tube headers that were made for Chevelles and Camaros.....tubes took a similar path to bbc manifolds....into a 2.5" exhaust.
TH400 transmission with a Fairbanks 11" convertor....stalled about 2600-2800 RPM
4.88:1 Posi in my stock housing.
STOCK unrebuilt front and rear suspension....small block springs and worn out front shocks. Only change to the rear suspension were cheapo "coil-over" helper spring style shocks.
It sat a few inches down in the front and weight transferred good like this and I could literally make the front end "bounce" pulling both fronts while going about 25 MPH on the street by romping on/off the gas. It would raise up, but not pull the tires on the first few hits, but then it would pull them on up. Scared the HELL out of all the Mustang boys in town!!!!
UNTIL I started taking more weight off the front. After that the suspension topped out when the car was just sitting still....and it hurt 60' times and killed me being able to snatch the front tires up. The old set-up pulled a best 1.80 sixty foot at 8.05 / 87 MPH in the 1/8th. Later combo ran 1.76 sixty foot (leaving very lazily) and 7.38 @ 96 MPH. Lots of suspension work and changes since, but haven't been back to the track in years. Engine is out of the car and waiting assembly now.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Sounds real good I have a fighting chance by the sounds of it. . I was just out driving it and it sure puts a smile on my face.