Motor in and out

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine,be sure to put a little heavy grease inside the bushing and on the input shaft where it goes into the bushing.It doesn't take but a little,but don't put it together dry.

Before I even read this Don, I woke up from a sound sleep last night and realized I didn't grease the bushing or the shaft. I just can't believe it. When I put the back end together yesterday minus the trans., I sat down for a few minutes; took a little break. Thought about installing the trans. next and I had to grease the bushing and shaft. So, I got up and walked over to the transmission and went completely brain dead. No grease. No lube. No nothing. So, I'll be out there early this morning before my friends arrive and I take the trans. out and grease it. Think I'll wait for them to arrive to reinstall. That thing is heavy but also awkward. Thankfully, its still on the hoist, Carmine.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Grease can gum up the pores of the bronze. I was told to use 30 weight non detergent motor oil. Just a dab on your finger will do. I too have used grease in the past, but now use oil. I can't recall if it was Centerforce clutches, or Phoenix clutches that told me this.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One suggestion I didn't see. When you get the tranny in as far as you can have a buddy push the clutch in to release the disc. I have to do this almost every time. Always slides in.
YOU MUST BE ENGAGED to the splines of the disc or you will have to start over.
Something else did you indicate the bell housing? Wouldn't think it would be a problem with a factory bell.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used a little oil on the inside of my input shaft bushing as well. The grease can actually cause MORE resistance as the input shaft creates tremendous force pushing it in

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I was out in the garage early and pulled the trans. again. Yup, the shaft was bone dry. I put a little grease on the input shaft and also the pilot bushing. (Hadn't read the above threads yet). Tried putting it back on the motor and on the second try, I was successful. My friend arrived and we had the whole unit hanging in the air. We actually had it hovering above the engine compartment, and I just didn't like it. Not sure why. Pulled it up and away and removed the trans. Started the install process again and everything went relatively well. Didn't scratch anything this time. Got the motor secured in the front motor mounts and used a strap in the rear under the bell housing to help support it. Raised the car up and put the trans. on the trans. jack. We tried several times to get it in, but the angle was off. Made different adjustments and finally, it went in. Alleluia. Bolted that up before it changed its mind. Installed the cross member and driveshaft. Called it a day. Now, the rest is up to me. I took some pics which I will post later. Many thanks to all who shared their experiences and offered advice, Carmine

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Been working on the motor the past few days. Trying to button up everything. Had the car on the lift and brought it down. Looked inside and couldn't believe it. The shifter was on backwards. OMG. Why me?? Back up and had to drop the tranny down some to be able to make the change. It went well. I want to think that the electric is done and I'm close to finishing the gas line. The carb. is a '64-'65 Corvette AFB which I had rebuilt. Worked real nice on the dyno. Problem is, the choke housing would hit the valve cover and not allow the tube to be attached. So, I had to use a 1/2" carb. spacer which gave me enough room. I don't think its a bad thing. Maybe it will keep the gas cooler also. Hope there is no issue with the hood closing. I previously bought a new, never installed dual snorkel air cleaner for the car. At that time, I was going to use an Edelbrock carb. Since I changed to an AFB, the base doesn't fit; too big. So, I ordered a base for the AFB. Wow, does the bleeding ever stop???? The major things left are the exhaust and cooling. Friends are coming over Friday for the exhaust. Already have the parts. While there, I think we'll put the hood on. Easier with the 3 of us. The cooling system, I have everything I need except anti-freeze and belts. Just have to figure out the pulley system and I'll be good to go. I'm thinking next week I should be able to start it. Hopefully, I'll post a few pics, Carmine.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ok, Carmine here's how you get the best of your friends. I did this many years ago building a car for my boss's son. After you and everyone finish putting on the starter and she me stuff tell them you are tired and have them come back tomorrow evening. You then after they are gone double check that the distributor is on #1, pull the rocker cover and plug, make sure both rockers are loose, piston is up, put cover back on, plug back in. Then take the top off of the carb and fill the float bowl, put the top back on, fill the gas line from the carb to the fuel pump and bolt up everything again.
When they come over to finish the exhaust and a few meaningless details, put the air cleaner on, etc. Tell them let's call it a night because it's ready to run now! They will look at you like you have 3 heads. I did this, put the air cleaner on, closed the hood and told my boss I'm going home! He stopped me and I of course turned around, put the key in and it immediately started. They were blown away and I got to keep my job"!!! You will have fun and all those cuts and bruises will go away!!
Yes, I did have to fine tune everything later, timing, carbs etc but had a blast!!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Question, what is all the writing on the bell housing?
When the machine shop was going to dyno the motor, I had to bring them parts they would need, one of which I thought was the bell housing. They didn't need the bell housing and put my name on it so that it wouldn't get lost. I had just cleaned and painted it and now it had my name on it. So I said, what the heck. When I got the motor home, in magic marker, I put the date the motor was rebuilt and the names of my 2 good friends that helped me with the install. They both saw it and got a big kick out of it. One even said I spelled his name wrong so I made the correction. I don't think you can see any of the writing but that's ok; I know it's there and so do they, Carmine.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Carmine, year was 1966' first transmission I tried to put in, three speed manual behind a 283 in a 57 Chevy. Could not, could not get that tranny in. Two guys that knew what was what came over crawled under the car and had it in, less than five seconds. I had been trying for two days. Later that same year I could, using my knees and scrawny arms, put the tranny in by myself after dragging it up on my belly. Practice, practice, practice! When your done with this build "you" will be here giving advice to others.

Last edited:

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Remember, use old style anti-freeze on these engines, donot use DEX-COOL. Eats up the gaskets.

W Head

1959 Impala 409-2,4s