Motor in and out

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'll send you a photo when I get home or I'm sure Paul could post one. It may be the one that Showcars sent u but like the PS pulley, you didn't install it correctly and where you have it you are going to experience vapor lock. The line should not be routed down between the water pump and the block as yous appears to be, it should stay on the outside of the pump. If you look at the photo that I sent you concerning the PB hose you can see a little of the gas line and see that it doesn't go inside the water pump.

Any pics would be appreciated. I don't need problems that I can avoid. That line seemed to fit best on the inside. Only had to make a small adjustment. Funny thing, my '64SS with the 327/250 came with the pump to carb. line taped with some type of heat repellant material. It was shiny silver on the outside and sticky stuff on the inside. This line was also between the wp and the block; like I have now. Never really understood why the po did that. Maybe he experienced some vapor lock. Not sure. It was a terrible/sloppy job of putting that tape 0n, so when I converted the 327 over to 300hp, I cleaned this line. Reinstalled the same way I took it off. Since then, I've been to many shows, events and rides. Never experienced vapor lock that I am aware of. I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but when moving, wouldn't that air flow over the engine be enough to avoid vapor lock. I can see it possibly happening on a hot day, idling with no movement for a long period of time. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to looking at some pics and doing it correctly. Thank you, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hope this helps. The lines are factory originals.

View attachment 34753 View attachment 34754

Yes. Big help. Thank you. I will look at mine again, but I swear it looks just like the one in the pic. From what I am seeing, the line goes between the water pump and block. I also looked at that magazine article mentioned in another thread. I saw the white '61 which was very nice and had a 348 in it. Great resto and the pump to carb. line was outside the water pump. I looked at a few more '61-'62 "W" engine cars, and it was pretty much evenly split re. where the gas line was routed, Carmine.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You might find photos of some that are behind the water pump, but that is not where the factory put them. Here is a photo I found through google search that shows the line outside of the water pump.

126.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Nick.................the factory fuel lines on the 348 and 409 engines...................NEVER went behind the water pump. EVER!!! Gotta get it moved.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What Phil,and Ron said.With todays junk for fuel,damn the "looks".keep that fuel line as far away from heat sources,such as the picture Ron posted,or you're going to be hating life.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What others have said....keep the fuel lines as far from heat as possible. Ethanol gas hates heat. Hard starting, rough idle, poor throttle response, poor fuel economy...all kinds of headaches come from Heat and ethanol.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
In case it helps any...
Here is a photo of how the fuel line was run on our '61 Bel Air 348. Our dad has owned the car since new and as far as he can remember, the fuel line hasn't ever been replaced. I ordered a new line from the Truck and Car Shop and it wasn't even close to fitting so I just cleaned up the one I had and put it back on the car. Our car is just a base 348 250hp car....the higher HP engines may have a slightly different shape since the carburetor arrangement can be different.

2015-03-09 10.12.37.jpg 2015-02-17 18.10.04.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, I made a new fuel line and moved it. I routed it from the fuel pump to outside the grill, up and over the radiator and into the carb. No vapor lock ever on this old girl. Not even close to anything hot. Only kidding of course :laughing. I did move it to outside the water pump, down and around to the fuel pump. Looks like it might even belong there. For some reason though, I had a problem with double flaring the tubing today. Took me 4 attempts to get the look I wanted with the flare. The first 2 were good except there were slight cracks in the flare. Never had that happen before. Thought maybe I had just a bit too much tubing exposed and on the third attempt, lessened it slightly and this one didn't crack but it was crooked. Don't know how that happens. Everything was tight. The fourth attempt was a charm. Or is that in marriage????? Anyhow, a good flare and I installed the line. Will take a pic of it and that great looking dual snorkel air cleaner, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the above info. I never thought about a drop of oil or chamfering the end of the line. Never really had a problem until today. My flaring tool is an "Iron Forge" brand. I've had it for quite a while. Not sure where I got it from. Probably not the best money can buy, but always worked fine before. Sometimes, things just don't work out to be the best. So there is always tomorrow, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you the step guide on the adaptors to set the height of tubing sticking through clamping bars?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Do you the step guide on the adaptors to set the height of tubing sticking through clamping bars?
Yes, I do use the step guide on the side of the adapters. I think sometimes I have just a bit too much exposed above the clamping bar.