motor mount location

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I have a friend who purchased a crate engine from Summit (cast #10066038-indicates 92-350, 4 bolt main-290 HP) He had another S B Chevy in this car but blew a head gasket and wanted to up grade. Has a turbo auto trans. Problem- From it's current position the trans likes about 1/2 inch mounting to the block installed and with the motor mounts bolts in. I measured the distance from the front motor mount boss on the blocks to the front of the engine. there is about 1/2 inch difference. I am wondering if this block has to have the motor mount adapters like you have to have on the L S engines? Anybody know.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No it shouldn't.This block must have been mis-cast somehow.That being said,you could make plates to move the mounts to what you need.The 290 hp.engine isn't much to start with.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I agree Don, not much of an engine, but you have to know this guy. He was on his Harley when a guy ran a stop sign and he T-Boned him. spent 6 months in a coma and is lucky to be alive. He is all crippled up and does not need a high HP engine. Sometimes I wonder if he should even drive. But he is a nice person and a car guy -has 2 coups and a 64 Chevelle.
Thanks, Don

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:dohWOW! How do you screw up a SBC, motor mount boss? :dunnoWhere are these being made?:dunno2 Please, don't say China.:doh If Mexico. Is this a Trump/America, get even?:eek1:eek3

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Most of the late model[87-up] Chevy blocks were cast in Mexico,no biggie.Even if the crank had the pilot bushing installed it wouldn't cause this because it sets down in the center of the crank and wouldn't interfere with the torque convertor mounting up.I've pulled several th350's for first time repair,and seen a pilot bushing in the crank.Factory F@ck up,I know,but caused no issues.I don't know where the later LS engines are cast,but this sounds like the mix up.since the small block is no longer used in production.

427John

Well Known Member
Measure from the motor mount boss bolt hole centerline to the bellhousing mounting surface of the block,this is the relevant distance for engine & trans position.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The two guys working on this just unbolted the trans and slid it far ward until it bolted up. The trans cross member has slots. Don't know how that will work, not my job. these two have been work on this engine for months. Now they have mixed up the A/C, alternator and P/S brackets. Some brackets are for a short water pump and some for a long water pump. I'm staying away, way away from this project. Ever have anyone who knows everything, but does not know anything.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

427John

Well Known Member
The two guys working on this just unbolted the trans and slid it far ward until it bolted up. The trans cross member has slots. Don't know how that will work, not my job. these two have been work on this engine for months. Now they have mixed up the A/C, alternator and P/S brackets. Some brackets are for a short water pump and some for a long water pump. I'm staying away, way away from this project. Ever have anyone who knows everything, but does not know anything.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s
You mean the kind of guys that consistently ignore your advice then come back with all kinds of questions when things go south?As much as you try they can't be helped but its also kind of like a train wreck as much as you want to look away you can't.