motor mounts

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Can any of the brethren tell me if the motor mounts shown on the attached photo are correct 409 parts? The fact that they are not identical makes me suspicious. The wider one on the right of the photo fits the mounting bracket better, so perhaps that's the original part.
Dan Fults

Attachments

• motor mounts_ed.jpg
    motor mounts_ed.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can any of the brethren tell me if the motor mounts shown on the attached photo are correct 409 parts? The fact that they are not identical makes me suspicious. The wider one on the right of the photo fits the mounting bracket better, so perhaps that's the original part.
Dan Fults
If you check the fit on those mounts more then likely you will find that the safety mounts will hit the perches and interfere with the alignment of the through bolt. The other option is the energy suspension mounts.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Dan Fults

To answer your question, neither of the mounts are original. Safety mounts were not available at the time these cars were built. You can use mounts from a 67 Corvette 327 350 HP but you need to take a crescent wrench and bend the safety tab flatter so it doesn't interfere with the metal mount. The 327 mount is the correct width for the metal mount 396 and 427 mounts are too wide.

Bill

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Your comments are helping me understand these mismatched motor mounts. The narrow-profile mount (left in my photo attachment) provides more clearance between the through-bolt and the exhaust manifold in my '63 409/425 engine. In fact, I had to remove the exhaust manifold to remove the through-bolt when I extracted the engine. I noticed that Ecklers has a pair of narrow-profile mounts, which they claim will fit the 409.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am somewhat confused.
The one on the right in your picture of the two mounts. See the link below. I purchased these mounts from NAPA Auto Parts (for $24.95) part # 602-1127 and stamped "ACM Made in USA". They have a non USA made mount under this same number(I bought them first -they are like my 327 engine mounts -I returned them and bought ones like the link below).
I was sure I remember having NOS GM mounts just like this link for my first 409 motor in the 90's, I remembered how they looked. NAPA lists the number above for 409 motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-62-63-64...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ed2d223e&vxp=mtr

I just tested the these new mounts on my 409 motor for my convertible and they bolt up like they should.

Paul

brushwolf

Well Known Member
I am somewhat confused.
The one on the right in your picture of the two mounts. See the link below. I purchased these mounts from NAPA Auto Parts (for $24.95) part # 602-1127 and stamped "ACM Made in USA". They have a non USA made mount under this same number(I bought them first -they are like my 327 engine mounts -I returned them and bought ones like the link below).
I was sure I remember having NOS GM mounts just like this link for my first 409 motor in the 90's, I remembered how they looked. NAPA lists the number above for 409 motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-62-63-64...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ed2d223e&vxp=mtr

I just tested the these new mounts on my 409 motor for my convertible and they bolt up like they should.

Paul
So that eBay link you posted is the correct top half of mount for 348 and 409? The ad says 61 and up and I have a 60 Impala. That just a listing oversight, or do they only work on 61 and up?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I don't have a 348 to test them on, the guy that was selling them was helpful when I asked about them -so I would ask him.
Or if you have a NAPA store you could ask them. You get get a set and test fit them, return if them didn't fit.
Paul