Motor mounts ....

wristpin

Well Known Member
Welcome Olof. Sounds like its going to be a great project. Theres a few members here who have done that exact swap. Im sure they will be here sooner or later and will be a wealth of information. Post pictures of your project!!

427John

Well Known Member
I thought there was a slight difference in height between the 58-64 small block and big block mounts is it not enough to cause issues?

427John

Well Known Member
I was talking about the insulators that bolt to the block not the perches that mount to the frame,I've seen reference to minor differences in height but evidently its not enough to cause problems.

cruzin

Well Known Member
I was talking about the insulators that bolt to the block not the perches that mount to the frame,I've seen reference to minor differences in height but evidently its not enough to cause problems.
They are the same.

427John

Well Known Member
We had already established that we were talking about v8 mounts and not 6 cyl.,I was under the impression that there were 2 different height v8 mounts,but apparently if there is any difference it is so small that it doesn't matter.I thought I had seen posts where people had oil pan to crossmember clearance issues,and there was speculation on whether it was due to sagging insulators or the wrong insulators.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This is from a post I did a while back...the 409 mount (insulator) is taller. Using an SBC mount can result in pan and exhaust manifold clearance issues.

Here is some info:

Anchor motor mounts
409 engine 2285
SBC engine 2267

GM trans mounts
Energy Suspension:
1108 = 1.937"
1142 = 1.537"
1158 = 1.437

Prothane = 1.770"

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The engine mounts bolted to the frame on "all factory 6 cylinder cars" are about 1 inch taller than v-8 motor mounts bolted to the frame.
If you use the 6 cylinder mounts on the frame for a v-8 engine you are asking for problems.....

Also factory style 409 engine mounts (Anchor mounts) for the engine block are way different in construction and are stronger in my opinion.
Dave's notes above show the mounts.
Paul

427John

Well Known Member
This is from a post I did a while back...the 409 mount (insulator) is taller. Using an SBC mount can result in pan and exhaust manifold clearance issues.

Here is some info:

Anchor motor mounts
409 engine 2285
SBC engine 2267

GM trans mounts
Energy Suspension:
1108 = 1.937"
1142 = 1.537"
1158 = 1.437

Prothane = 1.770"
Thats the thread I was remembering.