Motor oil:

T-REXblown409

I'm having trouble getting this on here what motor oil brand & weight should I use for break in and normal for a supercharged 409/472ci? I've got a Wix oil filter screw on for it. Was thinking about some kind of Valvoline racing oil this is mainly a street car. Please thanks for any help

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oil seems like one of those subjects that everyone will have their own opinion on and you will get a lot of different answers. I asked my builder what he recommended being he built the engine and knows what the clearances are and what it it should need. He recommended valvoline vr1 20/50w for my supercharged 380.

Junky

Well Known Member
I used Blue Print break in engine oil in my newly rebuilt engine, but I decided to dump the original oil once the cam was broken in. I changed the oil and put a new Wix filter on the engine, and installed the Blue Print break in engine oil. My thoughts were that if it were good enough for their engines, that they are building and warrantying, it should be good enough for my car. That was about a year ago, and I haven't put much more than 5 or 6 miles on that oil. I am hoping that I can get all the other items fixed in time for the fall driving season. With any luck, I will be able to put 5 or 6 hundred miles on the engine before I lay it up for the winter.

https://blueprintengines.com/products/blueprint-engines-break-in-oil-6-pack-bpp6pk710

427John

Well Known Member
I'm no expert but when I had to break in a new cylinder on an aircraft motor they were pretty specific about using a straight weight mineral oil and gave the reasoning about the ring seating. And it's been thoroughly tested. Just wondered about your thoughts.
http://www.airpowerinc.com/downloads/PDFs/TCMEngineBreakInFlightTips.pdf
An interesting read that explains the mechanics of ring seating very well,but it brings up the question does multi weight petroleum based oils interfere with the oil film penetration and should we be using mineral oils for breakin or are there other reasons that aero engines require mineral oil?Sounds like it is widely accepted that synthetics are a no-no for breakin.