motor problems

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
More from the old days….guys would rev it up as somebody poured Bon-Ami cleanser down the carb to seat the rings. I have no idea of that worked. I would guess it did?

427John

Well Known Member
What is the back story on this engine?Was it a fresh or low mileage rebuild that had it at .060,and if so why did you re-ring it in the first place?Did the engine lack power or have blowby before?If so that in itself would warrant more investigation because that would be the second set of rings that failed to seal in those bores.Also were there any problems at first fire such as excessively rich or flooding carb?If so this will wash down the cylinder walls and cause the bore to glaze almost immediately.If the scenario is that the engine had no previous issues and you just replaced the rings to have a fresh start and then had flooding or excessively rich issues at initial startup then a ball hone and new rings will probably fix you up.

garey

have had the car 7/8yrs over the last yr or so it started breathing enough that the breathing became oil it was all in the air cleaner and the fumes smelt nasty i have not touched the motor all those yrs,so decided to pull it down i think what made it start playing up i had put a brand new 465 holley street avenger on it and could never get the mixture screws to adjust at all had it checked by a so called expert 100 dollars later carb is ok but i think that was a lot of what caused everything to go wrong also now that i have stripped the motor the big ends are all scoured and it looks like something got in to the engine,then i remembered he sand blasted the pistons so maybe he didn,t get all the sand out he also ported and polished the heads maybe he didn,t get all the filings out?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well,I hope that the cylinder walls aren't all scratched up,and it needs to be re-bored.If you can,measure for taper,and out of round.You can live with .002-.003 taper for a no performance putt around engine..002-.003 taper is in about the same place.It sounds like your "builder" just did a ring and bearing freshen up.If that's the case ,them James's thoughts on the top ring land bear a close looking at.You'll likely need new pistons,so if the taper sand out of round are reasonable,get with Show Cars and get a set of .060 over K-B Icon forged pistons,and matching "moly"faced rings,plus what ever bearings that you may need.

427John

Well Known Member
Sounds like you have significant time on the .060 overbore,while this doesn't necessarily mean you need an overbore to the next size it does mean you need check the bore for size,roundness, and taper.Since the pistons were blasted as LA said you need to check the ring grooves and lands after thorough cleaning(and not by blasting)check to see how much side clearance the rings have in the grooves and also that the rings sit square in the groove.If the bores check out round with little or no taper but size is getting a little too big due to previous honing you may be able to go to forged pistons which require more clearance and prevent another overbore,but this will be completely dependent on the new pistons,you will have get your current bore size and shop for pistons that are sized to give the the recommended clearance,and there's no guarantee that you'll find them without having them custom made.Find another engine builder also if he routinely sandblasts pistons to clean them.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know it’s a completely different animal but when overhauling Mercedes Benz mbe4000 series Diesel engines you reuse the pistons if they are not damaged and the ring lands are good. After inspection you tape off below the oil ring land and glass bead them. That is all in the oem manual for that engine. I though the guys at the shop were screwing with me the first time I overhauled one of them but they weren’t!