MSD 6al box

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Digital programmable 6. It has a little more power and a few features that might come in handy. Mostly got it because the limiter is smoother.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think a lot of damage is done when the limiter is used to do the burnout.
I thought that it came from the practice of staging,putting the engine on the limiter as the tree comes down reapetedly on an externally balanced engine.If the assembly was internally balanced there wasn't any issues,or at least we never saw one.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought that it came from the practice of staging,putting the engine on the limiter as the tree comes down reapetedly on an externally balanced engine.If the assembly was internally balanced there wasn't any issues,or at least we never saw one.
I have always heard the burnout because there is a load on the engine. Not that staging with one is great but it is a necessary evil to have any consistency with a stick car.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It could be one of those "all of the above"deals Dan.All the stuff that I worked with was automatic trans.bracket race type.As I said,we never had the issue if the engine was internally balanced.Smoother operation is always better.That's why I went to a CO2 style stop as a launch control as I hated the "popping and banging" at the starting line but that might not work well with a stick car.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe Rev limiters definitely have a place and use. I do find myself explaining to some that it is not overall protection though. Once that motor spins up, no electronic cutoff of the ignition will stop the damage of an engine improperly built.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It could be one of those "all of the above"deals Dan.All the stuff that I worked with was automatic trans.bracket race type.As I said,we never had the issue if the engine was internally balanced.Smoother operation is always better.That's why I went to a CO2 style stop as a launch control as I hated the "popping and banging" at the starting line but that might not work well with a stick car.
The thing I hear the most is valvetrain damage. Now thinking about it, I rebuilt a 496 wedge for a guy. He wanted to reuse his gear drive. I don't like them but not my car. So it winds up breaking the crank gear. He did his burnouts on the limiter and staged on the limiter. I bet that's what cracked the gear.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe Rev limiters definitely have a place and use. I do find myself explaining to some that it is not overall protection though. Once that motor spins up, no electronic cutoff of the ignition will stop the damage of an engine improperly built.
It has saved mine a couple times. Or at least made it less likely that damage would of occurred.