Muncie shifter

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've not been able to get the shifter right on the 63 since I've had it together. It gets hung in reverse and any other gear you put it in at the same time. I bought a brand new Muncie shifter body, thinking that the old one was just worn out but it didn't help. I don't have the mounting plate and I think that's putting it in a bind, no matter how I adjust it, I can't get it right. I also need to put new bushings on the rods.
The problem is that I don't know which mounting plate would be right for it, most of what I've seen on E-bay are for Hurst shifters. I have an old competition plus that I could put on but I like to hear people at car shows talk about the finger lift on reverse. Does anyone have a picture of the correct one, so I know which one to look for?
Before you all start telling me about what a POS the muncie shifters are, I just want to point out that the one in the Chevelle has been there 25 years and I can still shift it well enough to get rubber in 2nd and 3rd. :D

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Does this shifter have a hole that you put a pin through to line it up for neutral?
It actually has a slot and I have a tool that I made when I put the Chevelle together. The assembly manual has the measurements for the tool so that's what I use.
Humm...if the shifter checks out...you might check the side plate forks for excessive wear
Russ, Deb has hit me up several times saying that maybe it's not the shifter but the trans. I'd sure hate to admit she was right, even though she has no idea what she's talking about.
Are you saying that if the forks are worn, they could cause problems?

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Yes... if the forks have excessive wear...the shifter could return to neutral and the trans still be in gear. This condition would allow the selection of another gear resulting in a two gear lock

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Mearl you did say you need new bushings so maybe start there :dunno
( It gets hung in reverse and any other gear you put it in at the same time.) What are you putting in at the same time?

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I ordered a new set of steel bushings, I don't have any in it now, it's just flopping around . If that doesn't help, I'll check out the forks, that sounds like the next step. After it goes into reverse like backing out of the garage, it stays in reverse and will go in any other gear you choose. Of course, that binds it up tight.