my 348

reastman

Well Known Member
Very Nice!!
Where did you get the air Cleaners ? I would like a set
The guy I bought it from installed them - they had an oiled wire mesh. I worked at Hopkins Chevy-Olds my senior year in high school getting new cars ready for delivery, along side a guy a year older. He was the second owner, and purchased the car from an elderly man, who ordered it new at Hopkins in the spring of '61, telling the salesman he wanted a full-size Chevy with a manual tranny, and the most powerful V-8 option they had. He was using the car to tow a boat to and from Indian Lake [Ohio]. Hopkins was between Dayton and New Carlisle. I was third owner, buying the car for $850 in June '68. I had id it until Dec '69, selling it to buy a '67 Pontiac Sprint 6 Tempest. The Chevy had over 90K on it and was costing too much to keep reliable - I sold it for $675, not realizing what a rare car I had. I built my 348 in the hopes of finding a '61 to put it in.Image (7).jpgImage (9).jpgImage (8).jpg

reastman

Well Known Member
:appl:appl:love Yeah,those.Don't get me started about the ones that were on your car:mad3.
Yeah, I know, but they looked cool to an 18year old.
The stacks were counter bored .002" smaller than the carb air horns, which I had OD bored to a clean-up; the stacks were then warmed on a hot plate, placed on the carbs and shrunk down as they cooled, for a nice tight fit. This way, I got rid of the unsightly studs coming up through the filters.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just wondering, did you ever race that car?? Was it fairly quick for it's time?? Thanks, Carmine.

reastman

Well Known Member
1/2 inch radius on the turn in?
Not sure what you mean - the radius at the top of the stack is more of an angle, all sharp edges radiused.
Just wondering, did you ever race that car?? Was it fairly quick for it's time?? Thanks, Carmine.
Just street-raced, never timed - did ok. Anything seemed fast after driving Dad's '54 Ford or his '62 Dodge Slant six D200 pick-up, Dad was always conservative when it came to cars; when I first brought the Chevy home, he saw the tach on the column, the Hurst shifter, and asked to see under the hood - he just shook his head and walked into the house.