My 409 build

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Love the steelies and dog dish. Are those 17" wheels? I'm really impressed with your air/fuel ratios, & was wondering if you would be willing to share you carb size, and jetting?

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Yep...17" wheels from Wheel Vintiques. The carbs are 500 CFM Edelbrock carbs, as far as the jetting I'll have to get back to you on that. I have all that out in the shop but it sticks in my head that I'm around 16% leaner than how the carbs came.

brushwolf

Well Known Member

1. Page# 11 "my 409 build" in builds and projects.......Kevin's solution for 153 tooth flywheel.........

63 dream'n, Sunday at 9:09 PM

2. Offline
    brushwolfMember
    OK... So you took an aftermarket mini-starter that was for both 153 and 168 tooth applications and it already had the 4 vertical holes in the aluminum block - but only the outboard bolt hole lined up. You used the original location outboard mounting holes on both starter and engine block, and removed the material between the 2 inboard vertical mounting holes on aluminum starter block creating a slot where the inboard bolt will then align with the factory inboard tapped hole on the block?

Did it need to be shimmed or the aluminum block on starter have to be taken down on surface where it meets the engine block mounting surface? Has it given you any issues to this point?​
I am working on trying to put a T56 behind a 348 and hoping to stick with the original LT1 bellhousing, pull type stock clutch wiht 153 tooth aftermarket flywheel and ran into this unexpected starter problem. Another member posted a pic of your starter and some comments from this thread.
  1. Thanks, Mike

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
That is correct on the aluminum block

no shims and no machining were required to get the starter gear to align with the flywheel for my application and it has worked flawlessly so far Mike !

Kevin Green

Well Known Member