My 409 build

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Its the dash gauge that does not match the ohm resistance of the sender in the tank. I don't remember how I found out, but
the tank units (new and old ) have a different ohm resistance than the gauges that are sold.

for instance my SW gas gauge has a ohm resistance from 240 to 33.5 and Stewart Warners tank sender has the same ohm readings (but I could not use there tank sending unit (its way different) so the original tank sending unit had to be changed.

Here is the guy at Fuel Systems Inc. in Wisconsin that coverted my tank unit : jkoppelman@fuelsys.com
He has done one in 2015 and one in 2016 for me, both SW gauges.
His address where I sent the units:
Fuel Systems Inc
12730 Robin Lane
Brookfield WI 53005

I would suggest calling him with your gauge information just to make sure.
I can't find what the ohm resistance is on a stock 61 to 64 tank sending unit. It was way different from what I remember.

I did find this discussion -it looks like the dash stock gas gauge might be 0 to 30 ohms
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=159/mode=cat/cat159.htm

Paul

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Looking for some help guys. I was finally able to get the alignment done on the Impala and they told me that my gear box is junk! They also said that I should not replace it with another 605 box because it wont last. So with that being said what is the best steering box to use, preferably something that will fit in the factory mounting holes so I can get rid of the adaptor plate that the 605 box used!

brushwolf

Well Known Member
Kevin,

See you haven't posted on this thread for awhile, but I was reading through it both for the starter info and the lowering your motor mounts. Looking at doing the same things here, but for a different reasons.

I am hoping to reduce the floor tunnel modification a bit that is required to fit the T56 also reduce the angle of the long T56 tail housing entering the frame tunnel that happens without either lowering the motor mounts or raising the transmission.

Then it occurred to me that lowering the motor may induce another issue with oil pan clearance with my deeper truck pan. And I may need more clearance for the oil pan than you have too, because you have solid mounts apparently and I would prefer not to go with solid mounts.

But, while going through this thread again, I noticed that we may actually have the same profile oil pan (correct me if I'm wrong about that). See pics..

I was wondering how much clearance your oil pan has to the crossmember after engine lowering? Do you recall how much lower the mount modifications lowered the motor from stock? More than a half inch?

And what is the new resulting down angle of the motor and transmission? Or did you also lower the transmission mount a bit to restore the down angle?

My car is a 60 and your car is a 63, but the engine crossmember profiles look very similar.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: