My 409

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
For a alum. Radiator see these guys Auto City Glass 763-444-5880 autocity@att.net
Purchased one for my 59 El Camino-348 (which I sold) and one for my 59 Impala 409-direct bolt in and great price-check it out. It will cool it down!

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Well Known Member
Changed the clutch fan and flushed out the whole system and it still got hot.Thanks for the reply I'll look into it.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Have you checked timing,seems last couple heat problems have been directly related to timing issues......and if I remember correctly there was a video where you were experiencing detonation??

Well Known Member
Yes I remember you giving me that reply last year. I just started running the car this week that's another thing that I have to check.Thanks.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Actually I read that response and remembered it because I liked your car....I had not commented on it previously.just stating that timing seems to be a common issue....good luck

Well Known Member
I'll try the timing this week if I get a chance I'll post another video so you guys can hear it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It looks like you are only using one belt? Although I don't think that has an effect on heating while idling.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bump your initial timing up a degree or 2, big aluminum radiator and richen the idle mix screws an 1/8th turn. This modern fuel is complete garbage. You'll get it sorted out!

Well Known Member
Pulley sizes should be stock not under sized but I should check that also.Timing is probably why it's overheating I hope.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ideally, you have around a 7" crank pulley and a water pump pulley 6" or smaller, especially in hot weather. JMO.

Well Known Member
I checked the size of the pulleys, the crank pulley looks to be 7 inch in diameter, and the water pump pulley is I think because it's hard to measure 6 inches where the belt sits or maybe 7 inches OD if that makes sense.

Well Known Member
I was using Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30 synthetic oil , personally don't like it. Even though it says the viscosity is 10W-30 I still find it to thin. I feel the regular oil makes the engine run much smoother. That's just my opinion.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd look for a smaller water pump pulley, it is also used on some hi-po SBC engines.