My 58 Impala project

CharlieB

This is some of the pictures along the way. I started in Sept. With the help of my three young sons, we are having a great time with it.
304497_264875533629415_360587002_n.jpg
390805_265041650279470_59705137_n.jpg
603756_277781082338860_1938506371_n.jpg
32352_280403245409977_1688593784_n.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like you have a real nice foundation to start with....:deal Keep us posted with your progress...:brow

CharlieB

Looks good enough to drive as is. What color is it?
Looks good enough to drive, but because it has sat for 30+ years every piece of rubber in the car is dry rotted. That includes the wheel cylinders, so no brakes. Front end bushings are mostly in bad shape. That's the fun of building them back.

CharlieB

Thanks Don. I am am very happy with it's condition. I haven't found a single spot of rust anywhere on it. Floor and trunk pans look very good. All the usual rust spots are solid. Just dry rotted rubber.

CharlieB

very nice! what are your plans for the paint? leave it alone?

how's the interior?
For now, the paint is well enough to leave alone. The interior is really good condition. Just has that 35 year old musty smell. Need about 10 of the pine trees air fresheners inside. Charlie

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have used fresh ground unused coffee to get rid of that smell, spread it around inside the car, just don't let it get wet. Just buy a cheap can of drip coffee.

Don

CharlieB

I have used fresh ground unused coffee to get rid of that smell, spread it around inside the car, just don't let it get wet. Just buy a cheap can of drip coffee.

Don
Really? That's cool. I'll have to try it. Now does it just have to be in the car or does it have to touch the carpets?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dryer sheets always worked for me and no mess. Lay a bunch on the floor and close the car up tight for a couple days. When you return, it will smell nice and fresh ;)

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I use dryer sheets in the Chev and the Dodge during the winter. "They" say it helps deter the mice. :dunno

Lonnie