My 59 Chevy project

Rugratman

Well Known Member
I started with this 59 and had every intention of reinstalling the 235...
But, I love the 348/409 look. I also want the power. So here are my starter pic's. Will have lots of questions along the way. I really dont have anyone near me that I know that knows these engines.
So, I picked up a 58, 348 and I will begin the tear down soon. So here are the before pic's.

The Hole to fill. Needs paint but scraped clean(ish)...LOL
397350854.jpg

The engine.
397350860.jpg

397350858.jpg

397350863.jpg

4G?...I think its called?
397350856.jpg

So any info on what to look out for now?
PS, I have the 235 for sale, since I have upgraded!
Also have a Flywheel, I removed last night. Worth selling or pitch it?
Going to a Th350 or 700R

Thanks in advance.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carb looks like a Carter WCFB. Nice car, engine not as good looking as the engine bay though. What are you doing to the 348?

Don

Rugratman

Well Known Member
Going to redo the 348. From what I was told the bottom end is in good shape, but we will see. I will send the heads off anyway and get them checked out.
Gonna start pulling parts off the 348 tonight. Will post pic's on the tear down too.

Rugratman

Well Known Member
Well I stripped the engine down today. Heads are off, Oil Pan is off, Timing cover off. Cylinders look great, and she spins like butter!
Not sure what to tackle next....Thinking the oil pump and Timing chain.
Any tips on the timing chain?...It looks like 3 bolts and the small gear slides on. I did not see any alignment marks.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I started with this 59 and had every intention of reinstalling the 235...
But, I love the 348/409 look. I also want the power. So here are my starter pic's. Will have lots of questions along the way. I really dont have anyone near me that I know that knows these engines.
So, I picked up a 58, 348 and I will begin the tear down soon. So here are the before pic's.

The Hole to fill. Needs paint but scraped clean(ish)...LOL
397350854.jpg

The engine.
397350860.jpg

397350858.jpg

397350863.jpg

4G?...I think its called?
397350856.jpg

So any info on what to look out for now?
PS, I have the 235 for sale, since I have upgraded!
Also have a Flywheel, I removed last night. Worth selling or pitch it?
Going to a Th350 or 700R

Thanks in advance.

You will need to change the frame motor mounts for the 348 Just a FYI

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Going to redo the 348. From what I was told the bottom end is in good shape, but we will see. I will send the heads off anyway and get them checked out.
Gonna start pulling parts off the 348 tonight. Will post pic's on the tear down too.
Did the oil pan have any sludge in the sump? Judging from the condition of the cam sprocket and chain, It looks like its been there since the General installed it back in '58. I would plasti gauge the rods and mains at the very least. That will determine how fresh that bottom end really is. Get a good look at the cam lobes and lifter faces if you are tempted to reuse them. Leo

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That would be my suggestion too,at the very least pull the rear main and replace the seal.It might have been just the way the light was hitting it on Saturday,but the cam looked sorta suspect.It could however be ok.

Rugratman

Well Known Member
No sludge in the pan...But I agree that timing set up is pretty old.
Rear main is on the list for sure..
Lifters look great, no wierd wear patterns at all. Push rods looked good too, but a new set is on the way anyway.
Once the bottom end is in a better way, I will double check the cam lobes.

Was thinking last night,why the rubber plug on the freeze plug? What happened?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It was most likely in a hard to get to place,so the rubber one was eaiser and faster to install.

Rugratman

Well Known Member
Update. The Shortblock is back and Heads are on. I painted the engine bay while the shop tooks its time on the work. Painting the engine today and the re-assembly starts....and my thousand questions.
399199657.jpg

399199656.jpg

399199655.jpg

399162932.jpg

399162933.jpg

399162934.jpg