My 62 Impala SS Project

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
I have been posting here for awhile and thought that I would share my project with all of you. My Dad gave me this car and I am in the process of restoring the car so that Dad and I can take it on the power tour or to a 348-409 event, but a long distance cruse at the minimum. Dad won this car at a opening of Les Schwab store here. He did not do anything to the car all the changes were done prior to him having ownership of the car. So here are the pictures of the car as we received it.

Attachments

• IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5212.JPG
    IMG_5212.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Side Sm.jpg
    Side Sm.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 166

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
So I my original intent for the project was to go back to original interior and clean up the car and maybe rebuild the engine. But when I pulled the carpet up I found the following hole on the drives side, where the previous owner added an electric seat. Then I did a good evaluation on the car and found the rusted out area behind the drivers door. So I decided that I was going to have to do a little more then just interior clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_6343.JPG
    IMG_6343.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMGP1080.JPG
    IMGP1080.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 178

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
The car as it sits to day

So as of last weekend I have everything out of the car except for the windows and I am going to get that done this weekend. Then its off to the media blaster and then the long process of putting it back together. So the plan for the car is to add disk breaks replace all the rubber bushings, add a 409 (sitting on the engine stand in the picture), new wheels (existing Cragers are rusting), repair the rust damage, and new paint. I do not have a hard time line as this project will happen as I have money to do the projects. This summers project is to get the suspension and disk breaks done, to have it blasted and to prime it so that body work can happen this winter.

Attachments

• IMGP0793.jpg
    IMGP0793.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMGP1081.JPG
    IMGP1081.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMGP1089.JPG
    IMGP1089.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 198

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like a good project....:brow That red interior reminds me of a Victorian era Hotel Lobby....:? Glad you are going back to the original.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Thanks. The pictures do not begin to really show the extent of the red in the car even the Grab bar on the dash was covered in red, Had to go. I turned the seats into my shop chairs. I took the wheels off of an old office chair and with a piece of plywood made me a nice chair for my shop work bench. as shown in this picture. Notice my 348-409 calender on the wall keeps me motivated to get this car done

Attachments

• IMGP1087.JPG
    IMGP1087.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 188

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That defiantly was the best thing you could have done with those seats...:roll:roll:roll

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
The latest progress pictures

Well got some work done this weekend. My Dad and Brother came over and gave me a hand in lifting the body off the frame this weekend. I am working on finishing this car for Dad since he gave it to me. But I am now ready to paint the frame do the suspension work run some new lines. maybe look at the rear end. then put the body back on and start the sheet metal repair work. :cheers :cool:

Attachments

• IMGP7336.JPG
    IMGP7336.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMGP7338.JPG
    IMGP7338.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMGP7340.JPG
    IMGP7340.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMGP7350.JPG
    IMGP7350.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMGP7349.JPG
    IMGP7349.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 155

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looking Good !!

I know that I've talked with you a couple of times at local shows, and I remember the car when it was given away. Looks like you are making some real progress on the Impala and I can't wait to see you out and about in her. :clap:cheers If you ever need any help, just give me a call, I'm right here in Boise and my Brother-In-Law is in Kuna, so we're out there all the time.

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you my phone number.

Keep in touch
Bill

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Moving right along!!! :beerbang:beerbang From the pictures, it looks as though it will be a fairly easy restoration, but we all know how that goes! Let me know if you need anything.

Brian

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Wooden dolly

I really like that wooden roller you fashioned! Do you have the specs for it? Might want to make one for my body, which is still on the old frame. I like the fact that it appears to sit outside the boundaries of the frame, and that while on that "cart" a guy might be able to do some work underneath. Is that possible?

Cheers,
TomK

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Tom-

I will look and see if I have my drawings for it. and scan then in and post them.

The Idea behind the cart was a three fold sort of Idea.
1. I have limited garage space so this maximizes that
2. This allows me to role the body out and work on the frame
3. there is some room there to work on the body. I may do my passenger floor and brace while it is off. and undercoat it as well.

I will get you the specs. :deal

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Project Update

I am doing my part to stimulate the Economy. Overthe last few weeks I have been ordering the parts for my suspension build this spring and summer. Here is a picture of some of the parts. Not seen here are the disk breaks I bought from Brian, or the new steering box that is sitting on my work bench.

IMGP1969.JPG

So now its time to get the bushing pressed in to the control arms then mock up the suspension pieces and drill any necessary holes in the frame for the sway bars and then off the the powder coaters for the frame. I have included a shot of the freshly coated control arms the color is a Steel Gray Metallic. the pictures do not do it justice.

IMGP1972.JPG

IMGP1973.JPG

IMGP1975.JPG

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Some Progress

Well my Dad came over this Friday and we Drank lots of coffee and shot the B.S. and in-between worked on the Car we only got the front end mocked up and holes drilled for the new sway bars. We are going to do the rear end in a couple of weekends then the frame is off to the powder coaters. Then final chassis assembly will begin.

I really thought that we would get more done but, all in all it was a good day spent with my Dad in the garage talking about the car and the Ideas for it. He is happy with the direction I am taking it, and wants to take a long cruse in it when we are done with it. Maybe I will bring him to Thompson when it is done.

4416592225_7b9cb9a1d5_o.jpg

4416592253_0773bff32c_o.jpg

4416592041_352ae70e9d_o.jpg

4416591997_f3ace32f54_o.jpg

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Should have gotten out there !!!

Justin,

She is really looking good !!!! :cheers:cheers I should have gotten out there this weekend to look her over. I did a little work on the BelAir this weekend, but didn't make much progress with the windows, even though I have the manual now. We took her out for a drive Sunday around town and got some ice cream at the Fanzi Freeze down on State street. Too nice a day just to sit around and not take the car out for a drive. :cool:

I'll get a hold of you and get out to see the car here real soon.

Bill

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Back in the Saddle again...

Well it has been awhile since I posted, I was laid off work in April so the Impala projects went on hold so that if I needed the money it was there. However I have changed careers from Architect to High school teacher teaching Engineering Technology, a lot less pay but I am at least back at work, which allows me to get back to work on the Impala.

So with that in mind I took the frame to the powder coaters and just picked it up tonight, sorry on the pictures but my camera was having a issue with the 20 degree temp here in Idaho. So the color is a steel Gray I think looks great. So now I can put all the suspension items on the car, and my dad said that he will take me wheel shopping for the car when I am ready. So things are looking up.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums...storation/?action=view&current=IMGP3233-1.jpg

62%20Impala%20Restoration

and for some reason I cannot get photos to post so here is a like to the pictures. it feels good to be working on the car again.:clap

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 SS restoration

Nice work, looks alot like what I have done to my 62 SS.
The powder coating makes for such a nice nice look and its so easy to keep clean.
Its always so much fun to start going the other way. My 62 SS came from California.

Bill from Boise is good friend.

If you are interested my web site shows my restoration of my 62 SS 409 under Current Project and Current Project #2
Link:http://paulstensland.com/default.aspx
There are some of my frame pictures. I added a factory style extra upper control arm to my rear end. I have not posted in the web site recent pictures of the 2 1/2" exhaust system with 2" Jardine Headers.

They are on this site under this link at the bottom:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21313

My 4 wheel disc brakes are from Right Stuff. I could not get my 409 4 core radiator to fit my power steering box, like the one you have on your frame. The original power steering pump (which I wanted to use) would not fit the pump(too close). The new knockout radiators will solve the radiator fit problems. I would use nothing but 4 core radiators on small blocks or big blocks.

I see you were an Architect before your job change , since I am in Civil Engineering, (work with Architects) changed jobs about 2 years ago, my choice.

Paul Stensland

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Thanks
I looked at your builds on this sight. I have the bracket for the rear as well I just need to get it welded on to the housing then I will powder coat it as well. I am hoping that I will be ready to start the engine and transmission rebuild this summer.

My goal is to be trying to get to the body work this fall, but we will see how fast I go and what my budget looks like. Since I am making a lot less money I have to be considerate of my 9500 budget with which to finish my car.