My 62 Impala SS Project

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Feels so Good

Well I spent some time tonight getting my suspension items lined up to install on the car and well I could not resist and I had a couple of minutes so I installed my first part back on the car Feels so good to be going in that direction. :cheers

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to hear about the lay-off Justin. I feel for you, I got laid off last February. I looked for a while and then pretty much gave up. I have since decided to open up a restoration shop. Getting everything in line right now and trying to find a building. Rent is outrageous, so I have decided to buy a building or buy some property and put up my own building. Finishing up with my first customer (64 conv. low rider car) tomorrow and pulling in the next one (39 chevy) next week.

The frame looks great and I really like the color you chose. Keep the progress going and of course the progress pics!

Call me if you need anything.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry to hear about your layoff.
Keep of the good work and stay focused!

Manufacturing Engineer by trade also and love the body cradle to store the body above the frame.
Would like to see more info on how you contructed it.

It solves the problem of during a body off restoration in a tight work area.

Good luck with the teaching job.

Mike

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Thanks Guys

Wow your own shop Brian, thats cool. My uncle is down there by Dallas and he restores cars when he is not working at his Foundry shop. My dad and I are planing on meeting up with him when I get the Impala Done so I will have to stop by and see your shop.

Mike I will see if I have my body cart plans and send it to you. I would do a few things differently like hard wheels instead of the soft the ones that I have do not role as easy and I would like them to. I also would make both the front and rear wheels ones that spin 360 deg. I may still change them out to some different.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian said:
I have since decided to open up a restoration shop.

Brian,

Well you'll be able to write off the trip to Thompson this year as a Business expense !!! I'll come over and talk to you about a restoration project, to make it legit !!!

Bill

Justin said:
I installed my first part back on the car Feels so good to be going in that direction.

Justin,

Glad to hear you are making progress again !!! :cheers Keep after it and you can travel with me to Thompson this year ???

Bill

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
So I got a new tool for compressing my springs from OTC it made the job super easy. It has two plates that fit in the spring, with a threaded rod, that has a bearing that the screw nut tightens against worked really slick. I am attaching some photos of it in action.

I was able to get some work done today, springs installed, shocks installed, power steering installed, manual drag link installed, connection rods installed.

All that is left is the sway bar and breaks then it is off to the rear end and then fuel and break lines.

Attachments

• IMGP3236.JPG
    IMGP3236.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMGP3239.JPG
    IMGP3239.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP3247.JPG
    IMGP3247.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMGP3252.jpg
    IMGP3252.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMGP3254.JPG
    IMGP3254.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 55

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
I found the cheapest price for it at Amazon. Wasn't cheep but it worked really well I am looking forward to using it on the rear here soon.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
3 day weekend progress

So I like having a three day weekend. I was able to spend some time on the impala, as well as picking up my engine from the builder (just taking it apart and looking at it). So here is what I got done this weekend.

First on Friday I got four boxes of parts from a fellow member here. I received a box of Ross pistons with a 10.5:1 ratio, a Offie intake and two edelbrock carbs w/ air cleaners, a five blade fan, and a water pump.

On Saturday I picked up some por15 and painted the rear housing and rear drums. Installed the rear control arms both upper and lower.

Today I picked up the engine from the builder that I was going to use, however I did find out that that he is closing up shop, sigh. but the block was just being checked out and all in all it is in good shape. It will need to be bored it has a little rust scarring in a couple of the cylinder holes.

The bad news of the weekend is that I may not be able to use my 333 truck heads, they have a bad valve seat job some are almost 1/32 high above and the builder recommended that I try to find another pair ohh well I was only $200 into those heads.

All in all it was a good weekend :cheers

Attachments

• IMGP3277.jpg
    IMGP3277.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP3280.jpg
    IMGP3280.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP3281.jpg
    IMGP3281.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP3285.jpg
    IMGP3285.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP3289.jpg
    IMGP3289.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 54

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Looks like things are moving right along.:beerbang
Too bad about those heads but as you said, at least you don't have a lot of money into them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek:From the picture,it looks like someone replaced a couple of the seats and did a bad job.If youre not in a big hurry,I may have a set of 333's to sell as the 348 engine I bought should have 333's on it,and I have a set of 333's bare now and wont need two sets.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I like having a three day weekend. I was able to spend some time on the impala, as well as picking up my engine from the builder (just taking it apart and looking at it). So here is what I got done this weekend.

First on Friday I got four boxes of parts from a fellow member here. I received a box of Ross pistons with a 10.5:1 ratio, a Offie intake and two edelbrock carbs w/ air cleaners, a five blade fan, and a water pump.

On Saturday I picked up some por15 and painted the rear housing and rear drums. Installed the rear control arms both upper and lower.

Today I picked up the engine from the builder that I was going to use, however I did find out that that he is closing up shop, sigh. but the block was just being checked out and all in all it is in good shape. It will need to be bored it has a little rust scarring in a couple of the cylinder holes.

The bad news of the weekend is that I may not be able to use my 333 truck heads, they have a bad valve seat job some are almost 1/32 high above and the builder recommended that I try to find another pair ohh well I was only $200 into those heads.

All in all it was a good weekend :cheers

If those are the heads you got from me, I WILL replace them! I am pretty sure I have another set of 333's lying around here somewhere.