My 63 409

Well Known Member
This is my 63 Impala just befor it went into winter storage.
My son was trying to film it with the cell phone.:hide

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds pretty good overall. I too thought I heard some detonation, however I am still dialing mine, so if I get on it hard, I get some too, that's why I haven't been getting on it hard till I figure it out. The whole idea of putting it away for storage seems to really suck for us in the nicer weather states. No wonder some go crazy. It's hard for me to imagine having to put my car away X number of months a year.

Well Known Member
It does ping when I push it,can't wait to take her out soon. I'll have to wait a little longer we have a snow storm today again.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Very nice - Sounds good out on the road .......:beer
.....hope to have mine on the road for the first time
when (if ever) the weather clears up......:doh

:cheers
bj

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for sharing. I'm envious of your shiny air cleaner. The top plate of mine has pealed down to the metal. Regarding the comments about pinging, my '63 runs much better on pump gas after I dropped the compression ratio from 11.0 to 10.5:1, using Ross/Bruneau pistons during last year's rebuild.
Dan Fults

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim ,wish I was able to pass by your shop this summer to give her a tune up and to meet you guys.

Stop in anytime you're coming through Barrie Ont. :beer
We run a small trucking company and the shop is just here to keep up with maintenance on the trucks, but we do sometimes get a day here and there where we can work on our race cars. :beer
You should be able to get rid of that pinging, unless of course you've got super high compression.
Jim's Impala has factory 11 to 1 pistons and it doesn't ping with 91 octane. In fact he once filled it with 87 by mistake and it still didn't ping, but he did drive it very softly until that gas was gone.

Well Known Member
I live in the Montreal area , if I get a chance this summer that would be great. I'll call you ahead of time of course, thanks.
Tom.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Well it sounds and looks great compared to mine,I gotta get mine together, this pushing it in and out of garage sucks:cuss