My 63 Impala SS restoration

Well Known Member
I only have a 20 gallon compressor I don't know if it's enough for a small media blaster

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You sure you put those A arms in molasses to get rid of the rust? Or are you just telling us what a sweet ride she is? :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you get a larger compressor get at least a 60 gallon tank,and dual stage pump.I have 80 gallon upright and dual stage.when I media blast or sand blast ,I never have to wait for compressor to catch up or wait for air to build up.My compressor has bearing insert"s .I paid like $ 1300.00 year"s ago.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Emphasis on the "dual stage" part. I unfortunately only have a single stage 80 gallon and it runs while I sand blast. It's ok but wish I did the dual.

bobs409

Administrator
How would you dispose prep-n-etch

I've have a few thoughts and from searches I've done. First, phosphoric acid is in fertilizer so it should be ok to just dump it. I did on a patch of weeds and it didn't phase them a bit! Another thing is this stuff is also in soft drinks! (on a smaller scale of course)

Then I think of what Prep-n-etch is actually sold for which is to etch concrete. You would pour this on your concrete and after a set time, rinse it off. If it was really bad for the environment, I think there would be all kinds of warnings, etc about doing that. Nobody is going to collect the run off so into the ground it would go.

Lastly, the amount us car guys would dump isn't much. Not like we're a big factory or anything.

One thing to remember too is that this stuff lasts and lasts and lasts! In fact, other than getting kind of gunky after many uses, it still keeps right on eating rust! It's unbelievable. When I tried vinegar it worked great the first time but the second time it's performance dropped big time. Then there's that smell...

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have an 80 gallon upright dual stage, and it doesn't quite keep up with my 46" blast cabinet. I would have to go to the garage to remember the CFM though.

Well Known Member
Motor pictures are nice, how about some pics of the car as it looks today?
Nothing has been done to the car, family priorities first. One step at a time. Maybe start next year but my daughter needs braces and it will cost $7500,00 . Just finished paying for my son’s braces which were another $7500,00. Changed the roof on my house $11k, had to keep the wife happy new car ,washer and dryer, new 75 inch Samsung TV and the list goes on. Now you know why my 63 SS project hasn’t moved along. This engine build will cost close to $25 000.00 Canadian.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I feel your pain, my 63 isn't coming along as quickly as I would like either, I have been accumulating 409 parts from guys on the forum and elsewhere for some time now.
Always other things that seem to redirect funds but the bright side is I can still drive mine until it's time to begin reconstructive surgeries.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Nothing has been done to the car, family priorities first. One step at a time. Maybe start next year but my daughter needs braces and it will cost $7500,00 . Just finished paying for my son’s braces which were another $7500,00. Changed the roof on my house $11k, had to keep the wife happy new car ,washer and dryer, new 75 inch Samsung TV and the list goes on. Now you know why my 63 SS project hasn’t moved along. This engine build will cost close to $25 000.00 Canadian.
Wow, I think I would throw in the towel!!!