My brother helping out Wilmington

chuckl

Well Known Member
It is hard to comprehend what a hurricane can do, unless you have been through one like Florence. Hurricane Ivan (Cat 4) visited Pensacola, FL in September of 2004. A forty foot (40) wall of water took out all four lanes of Interstate 10 bridge across Escambia Bay. If your house was not removed from this planet, imagine trying to get into your house with the sand/dirt level within 2 feet of your ceiling and the water blown through the 2nd floor removing your roof. No gas, no water, no propane for your grill, no electricity for 20 days, no internet and no phone to name a few; with the temp near 100 F.

There were over 8,000 boats, 2,000 motorcycles, 2,500 cars/trucks, light airplanes destroyed/lost/sunk or floated away. Sixty percent (60%) of all trees were destroyed. Many people/families lost everything, except the clothes on their back. Trying to get all the trash/trees removed from the streets was a herculean task. Imagine, if you will, a pile of ground-up trees/trash/houses/boats/garbage/oil/plastic/dead wildlife/fish 100 feet high covering the area of three football fields. This was the smallest one, with many others much, much bigger. The stench was overpowering, with no relief.

Now imagine, 10 months later, Hurricane Dennis making the identical track across the city and taking much of what was left over. Dennis was a Cat 5 about 100 miles out, but dropped to a 3 as it approached. A friend of mine had his 56 Chevy blown up through the roof of his garage and landed in his neighbor's field.

My heart goes out to the people in NC and SC. It will be at least a year before they will know who they are and many years recovering. Many did not have flood insurance and will be financially strapped or destitute for years to come. Future plans will have to be scrapped or delayed indefinitely.

Receiving a bag of ice, a gallon of water or a homemade sandwich from a complete stranger, makes all the difference in the world.

Royaloak, tell your brothers "Thank you." Even the smallest of gestures is greatly appreciated. I try to repay others for the help I received. Now, every day is a good one, no matter how dark and gloomy it may seem. It is good to be here! :cloud

Chuck

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We've had a Cat 1 or 2, nothing like what you are describing and passed over in a few hours. It moved rocks the size of a dually out of the ocean, and a 70 foot wall of water in Halifax harbor, the power is not believable unless you see it.