My bucket list 65 SS mystery

DON FRANKEN

All,

Just took possession of my first true SS impala. It has been sitting garaged without drive train in northern California since the 80s ....not a flake of rust so I couldn't pass it up. They guy I bought it from also had a perfect running 327 w/powerglide on the side....both date code correct ut not to car....I loaded up everything with a smile since it already has an automatic console w/vacuum gauge dash...open 12 bolt rear etc.

I've been researching the car the last two weeks.....I've created more questions I need help with..... but here's what I've discovered without finding a build sheet (yet):

1. Early Los Angeles built car, has original paint/interior...looks like first owner added vinyl top and side molding. Who ever owned it really loved it and took car of it. Upon closer inspection, fuel line from tank is for a big block and is aged just like everything else so I believe it to be correct. After discovering this I looked closely at the sun faded fenders....you can make out 409 where the engine emblem used to be.

Questions/your opinion:

Sell the 327 and powerglide for a 409 with correct tranny? I'm a purist but not made out of money.

409s look like hens teeth out there....the correct tranny would have been a th400? or still the powerglide?

If I went with the ready to go 327/powerglide.....besides a whole new tank to engine fuel line...do I need to change the fuel sending unit? What else am I missing? Were the drive shafts the same length?

Is there a way I can positively identify the front coil springs in the car as belonging to a big block? If they are to a big block...leave them in with the 327? I am not a lowrider dude, if anything I like them stock in the front and high in the back...open to thoughts. thx Don

Attachments

• IMG_20140319_112715.jpg
    IMG_20140319_112715.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20140319_115333.jpg
    IMG_20140319_115333.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Check out the thread on the 409/340 hp....would be a great base combo with a BBC crank and mild hydraulic roller, keep some sort of auto trans...that looks like a very nice car.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If it was a 409 there should be a 1/4 inch fuel return line, and would have the 340 hp with a powerglide, if it was me I would look for a 409 and put it back to original, not that hard to find.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like a clean car. Why do you think the top is added?? look at the paint code. If it is original the code should be 2 tone I think D-6. No th400s with 409. You don't need to change any of the fuel stuff to run a 327. BTW Ws and BBC where not the only ones with a big fuel line. I believe 300 327 got them. maybe even 250 if it was optioned right. I'd have to look it up...

Last edited:

DON FRANKEN

Looks like a clean car. Why do you think the top is added?? look at the paint code. If it is original the code should be 2 tone I think D-6. No th400s with 409
Top and bottom code say mist blue....found an old reciept for side molding shop...think they did the vinyl top too. Thanks for the trans info. Might start searching for a 409 since I already have the powerglide..

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
i was wrong....small block - small line pg 315 assembly man.

DON FRANKEN

If it was a 409 there should be a 1/4 inch fuel return line, and would have the 340 hp with a powerglide, if it was me I would look for a 409 and put it back to original, not that hard to find.
Willing to drive anywhere out west for a deal on one.....haven't seen anything yet.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There was one on the local Craigslist, unknown quantity and value, but I think I would check in with Jack Gibbs if you are out west. If you want to do one yourself, I'd start looking for a truck 409 to start with.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Don, I'm in Modesto...how close are you??

I'm not sure about the price on that engine, just not enough info. It could be a Krylon overhaul or maybe something worth haggling over. Who knows?? You'd have to check casting numbers, receipts, everything to make a good decision on that one.

And I would see what Jack has available first.

DON FRANKEN

Don, I'm in Modesto...how close are you??

I'm not sure about the price on that engine, just not enough info. It could be a Krylon overhaul or maybe something worth haggling over. Who knows?? You'd have to check casting numbers, receipts, everything to make a good decision on that one.

And I would see what Jack has available first.

thx I'm up here by Sacramento...

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice looking car! How is the interior? I see there is a nice looking console sitting there. Dont understand though why someone would put plain impala rocker moldings on it though. Does the 65 have the porcelain resister on the outer firewall by the throttle linkage? 65's r my favorite as I have 2 of them and 1 63.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure on 65's but high HP 283's/327's had factory dual exhaust and the 3/8 fuel line. Great car by the way.

Don