My bucket list 65 SS mystery

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What's the first part of that VIN., also you said early, what is the production date code? Just curious about the lower chrome molding on the sides. There is a 65 409 on Ebay down by LA, however the guy could not tell me anything about it like bore size, cam, etc. He says his father rebuilt years ago. Nice looking car. I thought I knew just about every 65 around the Sacramento area. Just goes to show you. I say run the motor you got till you find a 409. I second the See Jack about motors. He did mine. Nice guy. He's only 67 miles from us.

DON FRANKEN

Stayed up late and did a lot more research. In the absence of a build sheet it doesn't look good even though I'm 90 percent sure I see "409" shadows on the fenders where the emblems were.

1. There is no ballast resister or signs of one being mounted there on the firewall

2. No evidence the car ever had a return fuel line.....

My 409 dream is gone for now.....but I still have a date correct 327/300 horse in the garage ready to go....thx all for helping me.

DON FRANKEN

What's the first part of that VIN., also you said early, what is the production date code? Just curious about the lower chrome molding on the sides. There is a 65 409 on Ebay down by LA, however the guy could not tell me anything about it like bore size, cam, etc. He says his father rebuilt years ago. Nice looking car. I thought I knew just about every 65 around the Sacramento area. Just goes to show you. I say run the motor you got till you find a 409. I second the See Jack about motors. He did mine. Nice guy. He's only 67 miles from us.

The vin starts 16637

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't worry about it if it's not an original 409 car. If that's what you want, go for it. There are lot's of non original cars running 409's out there that are great cars. If you got the 409 bug, do it. I guarantee you that every time you pop that hood, all those LS conversions, and the 396's etc., will not get the same attention as yours. Go for it, and hope to see you on the streets around Sacto.

DON FRANKEN

I have tried to hunt down prior owners of the car when it was actually running in the 80s...no dice...they are gone. I have two more ways left to truly identify this car...

1. there may be a build sheet in the door panels or inside rear arm rest panel (I didn't look there yet)
2. the car has Daoust Chevrolet license frames from Yuba City.......the Daoust family is still around up here...the might have something.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don't worry about it if it's not an original 409 car. If that's what you want, go for it. There are lot's of non original cars running 409's out there that are great cars. If you got the 409 bug, do it. I guarantee you that every time you pop that hood, all those LS conversions, and the 396's etc., will not get the same attention as yours. Go for it, and hope to see you on the streets around Sacto.

X2

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you think you see shadow's of 409 on the fender's ,there should be hole's there that mounted the letter's ,other wise there is no other way they were attached to the fender like stick on like newer car's.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
:yup The fenders were punched for the emblem studs, In the little research I did, I found that both versions of the 409 engine had a 1/4" fuel return line and it looks like both engines used the ballast resistor on the firewall.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Post a pic of the 409 marks on the fenders. Also, what is the build date on the cowl tag, as was asked previously?

Don

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There is nothing like a 409 !!! I showed Ms Bela for four years while looking for a 409. Even though she scored Gold at a Late Great Chevy convention she never got an award in any shows. The first year with the 409, she got 7 awards at the same shows as years past ???

She's real fine a 409 !!!

Bill