My New Dual Quad Idea

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Next year we are going to put the dual quads back on the car but I am not sure I want to use the carters as I personally do not like them and I know I can get some good money for the originals. What I am planning on doing since this engine only has the 340hp cam in it is to use 2 Q-jets with adapters. They would fit great and I have always had great luck tuning them, besides mine always got great gas mileage if you kept you foot out of it. I have a bunch of the Q-jets sitting on the shelf so this will be checked out over the winter.

427John

Well Known Member
Sounds like a cool plan,make sure to use the later bodies with fuel inlet coming in from the side on the front instead of the earlier ones that have the fuel inlet coming straight from the front it will simplify your fuel line fabrication.Also make sure to set the rear carb up as the primary if you do progressive,unless you do like Ford did on their 2x4's and put the carbs on backwards.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
The tuning may be a chore using adaptors. But if you don't have any, let me know I have a few setting on the shelf.

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer.

I like the possibility of doing this as with the adapter the bolt pattern is the same the AFB's. As far as tuning I have a ton of Q-jet rods, hangers and jets. Nice thing is I can put the little screw to close down the sec air valve so I do not have to worry about an over carb state when I get on it.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
My experiences with a quadrajet go back some 25 years or so when I built a Stock Eliminator car, a 68 Chevelle with a 327 and a Quadrajet. This thing will amaze you, but it has to be set up correctly, and meticulously maintained. It is a conventional primary with part throttle low speed enrichment provided by a set of primary metering rods that fit inside the primary jets, and are held down by engine vacuum working on a power piston that features a hangar that the primary metering rods hang from at their tops. A large spring in the vacuum well lifts the hangar as vacuum in the well drops upon acceleration. We remove the enrichment spring, remove the rods, reinstall the power piston, and jet the primaries around 73 or 74. A large camshaft doesn't provide the most consistent vacuum signal in the intake at low speeds, and you don't need the rods fluttering and creating an erratic fuel distribution condition at idle or low speeds. A 340 horse cam would provide a strong steady vacuum signal at low speeds, so having a low speed enrichment is a moot point anyway. The Q-J uses a pair of secondary air valves with a mild spring to close them plus the action of a choke pull off to keep the air valve closed unless the secondary butterflies are open causing engine vacuum to override the pull off and the spring. A cam on the air valves lifts the secondary metering rods out of a pair of wells in the carb bowl to provide high speed enrichment. The hangar for the air valves attaches with one screw on the top of the cam, taking the screw out is how to change the metering rods. Metering rods have a long tip with various tapers and lengths, that's how the air/fuel ratio is adjusted as part of your tuning. Both carburetors should be a matched pair, a mis match here would cause all kinds of mysterious stuff to happen. Both carbs will probably like to be adjusted the same, and there is no reason not to use all four idle adjusting screws simultaneously. The 340 horse cam might prove to be too mild for a pair of four barrels, it was designed for one carb smaller than either quadra jet. The Chevy carb is the only way to install dual carbs on this motor because of the fuel inlet location. The carb number for my stockers is a 7029207. All three cars have the same carb, they works pretty well. The beauty of that carb is its simplicity. The 327 Stock E camshaft has .390" intake lift, and .410" exhaust lift.It has around 260-265 degrees duration at .050", this thing sounds like a jack hammer breaking concrete at around 2000 RPM, but you wouldn't want to drive it on the street. Too radical and valve train parts longevity would be an issue. I've never tried running two of them together, but nobody ever succeeded by not trying something new.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A few days back[mid 70's] Offy made 2x4 Quad jet manifolds for,among others,small and big block engines.I don't remember if they made any for the W but they were available for things like Buicks,Olds and such so who knows.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A few days back[mid 70's] Offy made 2x4 Quad jet manifolds for,among others,small and big block engines.I don't remember if they made any for the W but they were available for things like Buicks,Olds and such so who knows.
I have one of the high rise dual quad intakes from Offy. It isn't matched up with a motor yet but figured it was good property to have.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I have one of the high rise dual quad intakes from Offy. It isn't matched up with a motor yet but figured it was good property to have.
Those are still available new,but only for small port heads.Show Cars has them.Right now if you want dual quads on a small port head,these are the only game in town unless you settle for used parts.

Last edited:

tenxal

Well Known Member
Well bad news, I will not be able to try this as the back Q-jet fuel inlet hits the front carb, that sucks. I would also need some different spacer that pushes one forward and one rearward. Damn I know I should have gone into being a CNC machinist when I grew up. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

The Edelbrock #2693 is .750" thick and moves the carb rearward by 5/16". If that doesn't give you enough, it's no big trick to fabricate your own spacer/adapter using any number of materials. I've made them from laminated wood, phenolic, Delrin/acetol and aluminum. Hand tools are all you need except for the aluminum. Anyone that does water jet cutting could do it in a couple of minutes.

If I was doing your project, the approach would be to use a single plate screwed to the original mounting holes, mount the carbs where you want the and then do the blend from under the carbs to original carb openings.

Hope you proceed with it.....

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well bad news, I will not be able to try this as the back Q-jet fuel inlet hits the front carb, that sucks. I would also need some different spacer that pushes one forward and one rearward. Damn I know I should have gone into being a CNC machinist when I grew up. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm
Never too late to start making parts from scratch! I have seen a couple spacers that moved the carbs forward or aft and looked good.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The high and low rise Offy manifolds are exactly the same; the difference is that the carb mounting pad is thicker on the "high rise". I do not feel that they are a good design.
Kind of odd design but for an open plenum design its pretty good for small ports. I don't think there was another company making such a thing. I Have seen many of these made to mount a blower which is what I was thinking of doing too. I have one that is stamped a low rise but measures out as a high rise. I wondered if they messed up the part plate when casting. Who knows. It looks factory but mine is not a low rise height as the stamping indicates.