My new project just reared it's ugly head...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Why isn't the vacuum advance hooked up? These engines like it better when hooked up to manifold vacuum as opposed to ported vacuum.

bobs409

Administrator
It is hooked up. I have it to manifold vacuum.

Just got back from a test drive with more timing. THAT did the trick! Runs real good now. Think it can probably take a little more timing yet.

Engine sounds great! For a new engine, I was surprised there was zero smoke out the pipes during the break in. I was expecting a little at least but like it this way better. :laugh4

Good to have my "buddy" back. I rely on this truck the most. Now it should be good for a while. :good

bobs409

Administrator
Since yesterday, yes. Comparing the old engine to this one, will have to get back to you on that. I'm still babying it.

I think they are both rated the same. My notes showed 190 hp for the 305 and that's about what this one is rated at I think. (maybe more now with the carb, intake and headers.)

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
:clap:clap:clap
It is hooked up. I have it to manifold vacuum.

Just got back from a test drive with more timing. THAT did the trick! Runs real good now. Think it can probably take a little more timing yet.

Engine sounds great! For a new engine, I was surprised there was zero smoke out the pipes during the break in. I was expecting a little at least but like it this way better. :laugh4

Good to have my "buddy" back. I rely on this truck the most. Now it should be good for a while. :good

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:winner:winner:winnerHAPPY NEW YEAR BOB

bobs409

Administrator
Right back at ya! :D Well that's one more thing crossed off the list. Now for that Jeep V8 conversion... :bonk

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your current engine is rated at 250 hp,when equipped with a 4bbl.and headers as you have yours set up.The 305 came in 2 versions in the cars in 1984.165 for the base engine,and 190 for the HO version found in some Cameros and in the Monte Carlo SS.You should feel a big difference in torque when loaded .

bobs409

Administrator
I was thinking crate engine but if I need to prove the engine is 87 or newer, not sure how that works. Problem there is I would still need a ton of parts from an 87 or newer car/engine for all the smog garbage so it might pay just to buy a junkyard engine with all the trimmings.

Lots of research needed yet... I have found out that I can go with a manual trans for probably around the same cost if I do it right. A few conversion kits out there for this but they aren't exactly giving them away price wise.

bobs409

Administrator
Your current engine is rated at 250 hp,when equipped with a 4bbl.and headers as you have yours set up.The 305 came in 2 versions in the cars in 1984.165 for the base engine,and 190 for the HO version found in some Cameros and in the Monte Carlo SS.You should feel a big difference in torque when loaded .

This is what I had saved in my notes when I researched that old engine:

Block casting number: 14010201 305...80-85...2 bolt main
Suffix: V0221 SUJ (possibly applications are; 84 Camaro, 84 Monte SS. 190 hp 305
Block date code: B174 Feb, 17th, 1984

It had a cast GM 4bbl intake with headers and a new Edelbrock 1405 carb at the time that were all added.