My new welder...

bobs409

Administrator
Today I welded aluminum for the first time! I thought it would be a disaster but it went very well and surprised me.

A crash course from chucky2009 on you tube last night and earlier today and I was off and running. I did some nice beads on flat plate followed by an outside corner and an inside corner.

It's about the same as steel in some respects but the puddle does appear "gummy" and does "glob" taller so it's more of a challenge keeping the tungsten OUT of the puddle. And even though I started with new material (1/8" plate) that I cleaned with acetone, brushed with a clean stainless steel wire brush and another cleaning with acetone, I did see some "peppering" in the weld pool on a few beads, not bad but there. I guess better cleaning is in order.

I'll soon be out of argon so I guess you could say I've been practicing a fair share. :D I've been conservative with the argon too, keeping it about 12-13 most times.

Lot's more practice ahead. I have some polished aluminum diamond plate to try out next. :brush

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've never tried it Bob but I heard EZ Off oven cleaner does a good job of pulling impurities out of aluminum .

Mark

bobs409

Administrator
I've never tried it Bob but I heard EZ Off oven cleaner does a good job of pulling impurities out of aluminum .

Mark

I never heard of that one. I have used it to remove anodizing from aluminum but you have to be careful, it's nasty stuff! Don't let it dry on the surface or keep on too long.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I think it's on the Chevy Talk forum, there's a story a guy tells about using brake cleaner to clean aluminum before he welded it. It almost killed him, his kidneys shut down and he still hasn't recovered. Turns out the combination of heat and stuff in the cleaner made Phosgene gas, deadly stuff. I read it a few years ago and it's a really interesting story.

bobs409

Administrator
I've heard that too. That's something that should be HEARD more of and it's amazing that it's not. (no time left with all the bloomberg ads I guess) I stopped using brake cleaner to clean regular parts since then, use it only on brakes. I use carb cleaner a lot. (probably killing me in another way) I try to only use acetone to clean parts for welding (especially aluminum) but sometimes I'm lazy and the can of carb cleaner is easier. :crazy

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So Bob, my Eastwood tig welder just quit this morning and I need to find another quick. The bumper pieces can't weld themselves. :D How's your welder holding up? While you were researching prior to purchase, did you come across any info on the serviceability of the welder you purchased? Eastwood has all of the parts available for their welders, but no one can test anything to find the failed component. So, I can't buy another from them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.