My new welder...

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey Jim does your welders owner manual list any service centers local to you or where you might get it repaired? I know I'm going to be in deep crap if my Everlast welder doesn't work when I finally plug it in and it doesn't work because its out of warrantee .

Mark

bobs409

Administrator
So Bob, my Eastwood tig welder just quit this morning and I need to find another quick. The bumper pieces can't weld themselves. :D How's your welder holding up? While you were researching prior to purchase, did you come across any info on the serviceability of the welder you purchased? Eastwood has all of the parts available for their welders, but no one can test anything to find the failed component. So, I can't buy another from them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Still going strong but to be fair, it hasn't been used very hard. I am very happy with it so far! Got all good reviews as I can remember. I'd search google, lots of mentions about that brand. The only down side is they aren't cheap! I think mine was around 12 bills.

bobs409

Administrator
Hey Jim does your welders owner manual list any service centers local to you or where you might get it repaired? I know I'm going to be in deep crap if my Everlast welder doesn't work when I finally plug it in and it doesn't work because its out of warrantee .

Mark

Yeah but what's the odds of that happening? (you plugging it in that is) :mock :teehee :roll

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Mark
No luck on repair facilities for Eastwood. I talked to there tech person. The only info is look for any obviously burnt parts and that would indicate which board to replace. But they have no wiring schematics from the manufacturer. So I've got to find a welder that can be repaired and that is not a throw away. I have heard good reviews on Everlast, but am unsure if anyone can repair them once out of warranty.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Still going strong but to be fair, it hasn't been used very hard. I am very happy with it so far! Got all good reviews as I can remember. I'd search google, lots of mentions about that brand. The only down side is they aren't cheap! I think mine was around 12 bills.
I'd prefer a Lincoln or Miller, but they're close to 2k. The Everlast is in between the Eastwood and Lincoln as far as price. I'll call my welding supply store Monday morning and see what info they have.

bobs409

Administrator
Well first Bob I'd have to get the garage wired.:D

Hey Bob have you ever visited Everlast's official forum?

Mark

Yeppers! That one and a few welding forums.

I'd prefer a Lincoln or Miller, but they're close to 2k. The Everlast is in between the Eastwood and Lincoln as far as price. I'll call my welding supply store Monday morning and see what info they have.

That sounds expensive. Some of these outfits jack the prices up because they deal with businesses and not DIY'ers like us. Won't hurt to window shop but check prices online too.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a Miller 211 mig welder a few years back, when I unboxed it I couldn't get the door open to the drive system because of a cheaply made thin bottom I talked with a Miller welder tech over at the Miller forum and without saying it he told me to go screw myself this is the way these welders are made and they aren't going to be changed. Since Miller wasn't going to do anything about it I got out my BFH and a block of wood and beat the bottom of the welder back into submission.

Mark

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
From what I hear, you can use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, but the regular is a no no. I use only acetone when cleaning parts for welding.
Eagle brand mag wheel cleaner the etching brand works great for cleaning aluminum before you weld it, spray it on and wipe it off. Then scrub it with a stainless steel brush. Eagle brand etching mag wheel cleaner. Available at all auto parts stores. Might give it a try and it won’t blow up in your face.:confused.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I called my welding supply store today. The only carry Lincoln, Miller and Fronius. He gave me the price on the Lincoln, it was the same as everywhere else. I told him I would think about it. About an hour later the sales rep calls me and says he'll throw in a welding helmet. I then started comparing the Lincoln to the Everlast and a Primeweld 225x tig welder. The Lincoln is such a basic tig welder with very few settings. Which may be ok, but the Everlast has so much more adjustability. The Primeweld machine is supposed to be very nice and comes with some name brand accessories, is under a grand, but there is so few reviews on it. I may not use or need all of the features of the Everlast, but I think I have settled on the Everlast. We'll see if I change my mind by the morning.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What model Lincoln were you looking at?
The k5126-1, the same one as you linked above. And I also came across quite a few reviews that noted failures right out of the box or shortly after purchase. Seemed to be more than the other welders I was looking at. Lincoln stands behind the welders and all were fixed under warranty, but it was noted that parts took quite a while to get.

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I called my welding supply store today. The only carry Lincoln, Miller and Fronius. He gave me the price on the Lincoln, it was the same as everywhere else. I told him I would think about it. About an hour later the sales rep calls me and says he'll throw in a welding helmet. I then started comparing the Lincoln to the Everlast and a Primeweld 225x tig welder. The Lincoln is such a basic tig welder with very few settings. Which may be ok, but the Everlast has so much more adjustability. The Primeweld machine is supposed to be very nice and comes with some name brand accessories, is under a grand, but there is so few reviews on it. I may not use or need all of the features of the Everlast, but I think I have settled on the Everlast. We'll see if I change my mind by the morning.

Before I bought my Everlast 255 EXT tig Jim all the reviews on Utube I watched were very good and not wanting to spend the money on a comparable feature wise tig from Miller & Lincoln I settled on the Everlast.

Mark

Last edited: