My new welder...

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, I made my decision and just pulled the trigger on this little beauty. :love No going back now! :laugh3

d35ccc1aac1244f7670974df044b3b3b.png

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/tig-stick/powertig-200dv

It's not the one in my dream welder thread. I've made some changes since then. First, this is Tig and Stick only, no Mig like in my other thread. I couldn't find one in my price range with all 3 and the options I wanted.

What made me go with this one (watched a lot of reviews!) was the AC/DC Tig function. I figured if I'm going to get a Tig welder, I might as well be able to weld aluminum. Got that covered. I also badly wanted the pulse function that will help with thin materials like auto sheetmetal. Got that covered too. Mig would have been better for auto panel work but maybe some day...

While I don't expect to do too much stick welding, it's nice to have that available. I did look for a Tig only machine but again, could not find the right combination of options I was looking for.

I did find a similar one like this rated at 185amps for $400 less but it had less settings and did not come with some things like foot pedal. If you have to buy that kind of stuff, there goes the savings...

I did check too see if multi process machines are problematic and all I could find was a mention of the first years having some issues. This brand gets very good reviews, this machine gets very good reviews and it has a 5 year warranty! I think I'm going to be happy with my choice.

If you want to see this baby in action, the best video so far is this one:

A few other things worth noting: This machine is on Amazon but if I had purchased it there, I would have to have paid $75 dollars TAX!!! :angry I went right to the makers site and got it there for $1200 plus $55 shipping. ($5 dollars more than Amazon) Am I a good shopper or what?? :laugh4

Another thing is my local gas dealer is Praxair and I have a 10% off for in store purchases. That means I'll save a little on the Argon tank and the gas when I go for it.

This is me: :happy

Junky

Well Known Member
May I borrow it for a test drive? I have some welding that I need to do on a bridge in Brooklyn. Do you think that it is up to the task? thanks Junk
PS... Congratulations on the new machine purchase. What is your first project that it is planed for?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tried to teach myself TIG, but I didn't get a chance to practice that much before I left that job. I did do a little stick, but that too was fairly new to me. I am a MIG welder for a reason. It is easy. :D Although if I was younger and still doing certain types of things I would buy a TIG definitely.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Get a couple packs of tungstens. You'll probably be re-grinding as you get used to the tig welder. I originally picked up 1/16" when I picked up my tig because I was mainly welding .050" aluminum. After a while I realized that I was overheating the thin tungsten, it would spit when I cut and resharpened it. Now I use 3/32" purple tungsten sharpened to a point. The purple is a tri-metal or something like that. I've tried the ceriated, thoriated, etc.. but didn't find much difference for what I weld. I've been shopping for a tungsten sharpener with a cut off slot also. I'll probably pick up one that attaches to a Dremel type tool as running to the bench grinder is getting to be a pita.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You'll be accessorizing your new welder with all the little upgrades. I just picked up a stubby gas lenses kit and what a difference getting into tight areas. I have been using a regular gas lenses set up for a year or two, it's supposed to provide better gas coverage for cleaner welds.

bobs409

Administrator
You'll have to use the tig welder to build it's stand!

That's what I was thinking! I guess I better wait to see what my tig welds look like first though, duct tape might be a better option. :roll

One of the things I like about this process is I should be able to safely weld IN the garage! Unlike mig and stick that throw sparks of hot molten metal out, tig is contained to the area your working on. Because of that, I may not even make it rollable or use it outside. Another reason is I will be going with at least a 125 lb tank so portable, not so much. (wish I got the big tank for the mig but I was a complete newbie then...)

Being able to weld in the garage over the winter should allow me to get more work done like repairing doors, fenders, etc for some of my cars/trucks.

I still have to get the tank and the argon but my local place should have a fair price on it. :pray

bobs409

Administrator
You'll be accessorizing your new welder with all the little upgrades. I just picked up a stubby gas lenses kit and what a difference getting into tight areas. I have been using a regular gas lenses set up for a year or two, it's supposed to provide better gas coverage for cleaner welds.

Have you added the water cooler yet? :laugh4 This hobby is getting expensive! :p

One of the video's said it was best to learn with the regular cup/torch so I'll hold off getting the glass lens. The stubby torch will be a must have item.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
No water cooler for me Bob. I don't weld enough for that. I used the standard cups for a few months I think before I got the gas lenses kit. I didn't notice much difference except I was able to turn my gas flow down a little to save on gas. A flow meter like in the picture of your welder is much better than the regulator that came with mine. I picked up an inexpensive flow meter and noticed an immediate saving on gas too.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Look where that welder shipped from. You better watch what you say around it. Don't work it very much, or try, it probably wont do it anyway. Don't ask about citizenship. Can I assume your home is considered a sanctuary property? Find out how it identifies itself. Know that you don't "own" it, it is there of its own free will and can leave when ever it wants. :dunno2

bobs409

Administrator
Look where that welder shipped from. You better watch what you say around it. Don't work it very much, or try, it probably wont do it anyway. Don't ask about citizenship. Can I assume your home is considered a sanctuary property? Find out how it identifies itself. Know that you don't "own" it, it is there of its own free will and can leave when ever it wants. :dunno2

That's it! I'm going to deport my new welder now. :D