my project intro...

and me too I guess. I'm doing a 61 Bel Air HT. I really like this car. Way kool. It's headed for a SBC 5spd combination for good MPG. I drive a long way to work so mileage is a concern, but so is style, right?:cool: It's nice to find a place like this that caters to these cars. Thanks for checkin out the car and thanks for havin me.
61project012.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
1961s are the "GREAT" in Late Great! :clap 1961 Belair hardtop... Now that's cool! Keep us up to date on the progress!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
highlander, Now that you found your way here that SB will be thrown out the window and you will get 348/409 fever....:doh Just wait you'll see...:brow Great project. Don't see to many 61' Bel-Air bubbles. Welcome aboard and keep us posted on your updates.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The car has that nice "diamond in the rough" look.:beerbang
Welcome to the site.:cheers

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Target to shoot for

Here's the reason I LOVE 61s! Gerry's 61 Belair! :clap Not only beautiful but fast as well! :brow

GerryGostenik_2006.jpg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hmmmm, fuel economy huh, brings to mind a mild build 14 sec. 348 with three two's. Mine got 16.5 MPG .:brow

Here's the reason I LOVE 61s! Gerry's 61 Belair! :clap Not only beautiful but fast as well! :brow

GerryGostenik_2006.jpg

Very kool indeed. I have the same emblems for mine, the crossed flags on the grille and decklid. I know those were for the WBC cars but I got em. It will certainly look the part but will get pretty high mileage as a goal or a "hook" to this particular build. I've been offered a stuck but complete 348 4bbl for $500. I'm thinking of getting it for my 54 pickup project (period kustom) and just use the SBC and tri-power in the bel air. I dunno yet, got lots to do 1st. It has a new blue stock interior (complete from CARS) so I'm thinkin like a "granny blue" type color, a bit low and nose down, either the grey torq-thrust type wheels or "dog dish" caps on 6s and 8s front and rear. Like I said tho...lots to do 1st. Thanks for the kudos.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
try this!!

Highlander61............sing along with me............She's real fine...my 409!!!!:roll :roll :clap :clap :bow :bow

Have they ever written a small block song???? Didn't think so!!!!

You'll change your mind!!!!:clap :clap

Giddy up...giddy up

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Highlander 61
Us 61 owners have to stick together:takethat Phil is correct you just have to build that 348 and join the rest of us W heads:roll
robert
Copyofimpalayrd13.jpg

EastonFall2007001.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Robert, That engine looks terrific.:beerbang
And I just love the way Gerry's car looks.:beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rare car!

Highlander61:

That is a diamond in the rough, as Jim mentions. The 1961 Belair sport coupe isn't seen very often, the Impala was more popular that year. Both are great designs, and in my opinion one of the best looking body styles of that era.

From the eyebrows over the headlights to the slight upturn to the rear quarters, those are just great lines. You can tell GM boss Bill Mitchell likely had some influence in that design :).

So you've got a rare 1961 Belair two door sport coupe and you want to put a common SBC in there? I highly recommend reconsidering your drive train. You can select from the more unique 348 engines that were available that year, or you can step up and stuff a 409 in that engine bay, I guarantee you will turn wayyyyy more heads when your hood is up :).

Good luck with the restoration!

TomK

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My 409 stroker was built to go, not for fuel economy. I got 13 with 3.36 gears and 9 with 4.11. I think 15 would be possible with 3.08 gears. These engines can make power and economy. I don't even have an overdrive trans. The potential is there, so try a 348 or 409 with an o.d. trans and knock down 20 plus mpg. I am sure it has been done before! P.S. great start on the car.:cheers

While I certainly appreciate the friendly "push" to the venerable W motors, at 84 miles round trip, 5 & 6 days a week, well you get the idea. The way I see it though I have the car. You'll not see me raise my right hand to "never" a 348 or 409. I just want it out there and enjoy it asap. I've not had a hot rod driver of ANY kind in many years...TOO MANY years. Time and $$$. There's only so much. And I already have most of the key ingredients. Hey, I'm on this board too so I got plenty of time to get on my game for later. The truck may be OT for here but I may post that too in the not too distant future.

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
that car has had a 409 4spd bolted in. it has tasted "W" motor, it will reject a small block!:D hey Jocko, have you made any progress on it? i hope you do more with it than i was able too.
scotty t:D

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Highlander: Those covers are from PML Inc. www.yourcovers.com They make several different configurations of them....the ones I have are known as "as cast" and are high(for rollers) and very thick. I had minor issues with fitting a rubber gasket(you have to tighten them harder than I liked to do plus do some gasket tab trimming) and because of the lip thickness I had kickdown linkage interference(minor).
I like them and they are an attention getter because of the Chevy script.
robert