Mystery 66 Corvette

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe this more properly belongs in the Racing thread but maybe not.

I have been trying to track down some history on my 66 425hp 427 Corvette ever since I got it back in 87and since I don't have the racing history knowledge most of you guys do, I thought I would see if anything might sound familiar to anyone.
When I got the car, it was apart and had damage to the left frame rail just behind the drivers side rocker panel. I believe that happened in 72 since that was the last time it was registered in California. The odometer was approximately 47,000 miles and could be about right for a car that had been driven only about 6 years and had obviously been raced some. It had the original transmission, exhaust manifolds, fuel line fitting for the double pumper, F-41 suspension, sidepipes, 4.11 posi, knock-off wheels, , high rpm tach, teak wheel, telescopic column, and hardtop only, no softop. the original block was gone but it came with an L-88 shortblock and intake dated Jan, 67. My guess is they blew up the original engine and replaced it with a crate L-88 before the warranty expired.
It had the usual California mod of 6 taillights and a whale tail and there was indication of some gold stripes under the Nassau blue paint. I couldn't find any evidence of chassis or suspension mods so I think it was probably drag raced instead of road raced. On the inside of the glove box door was a sticker "Manning- McComb" which may have been the name of a dealer, sponsor. or maybe a race team?

The strangest thing I found was in the engine compartment. Under the semi-gloss black paint on the pass side inner fender well was stenciled " Datona 4.31x 3.65" (Daytona misspelled). I believe that is the bore and stroke of the mystery motor that was run in a few 63 cars but what is it doing in the engine compartment of a 66 Corvette? I thought it might be a 63 inner skirt that somehow got installed in the 66 but the 63 used white fiberglass and this skirt was the later gray glass.

Does any thing ring a bell with anyone, especially anyone from the Northern California area 66-72?

I have the original black plates with the car but no title history and CA won't give you any info without a court order. I'm in the process of restoring the car but don't want to destroy anything with a valid race history.:dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil: I am surprised you haven't heard any comments on the Corvette. Of course I am still waiting to hear from anyone in Tulsa Oklahoma about the dealer that had my 61!! I would have thought that Phil had sold your corvette at least once :roll Or at least driven it
Robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Corvette experts

Cecil:

Perhaps a good idea would be to contact the local Corvette Club and see if there is a Corvette expert in the area, maybe one who does appraisals, knows how to connect the dots with past racers, etc. As you know, Corvette guys (and gals) are a passiionate folk, just like us "W" guys. They will often go the extra mile to dig up info on ownership and possible race histories, especially if the vehicle has promising indicators, as your certainly does.

Last night we were at my buddies' shop late working on a 1967 Dodge Charger, and we spotted some chalk marks under the hood that said "Dan 12 66" which we think was a worker's notes with a date that matches the build days of the vehicle. We cleaned around that part, even though the car will be a race car and a bit of a rat rod. You never know!

Good luck trying to piece the info together, hope you find an expert to help decipher the details of what might have been :).

Cheers!
TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cecil, I would agree with Tom on contacting the local Corvette club.
Once you do that most likely they can connect you with a national club member that knows who would be the best person to contact about the info you are looking for.

My anil corvette buddy here did a simular search about his car and found all the info from his contacts with our local Covette club.
The reginal and national experts on Covettes do visit the local clubs during their car shows to judge the cars.
This is the best time to ask these questions.

Goo luck, dq

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I appreciate the advice guys but I don't do local Corvette clubs. My experience with them has been that mostly all they want to do is have car shows, wax and clean their cars and elect officers. I have been playing with Corvettes since 62and have owned many. I've been a member of NCRS since 76 for their excellent research and consider myself pretty knowlegeable but the one thing I know for sure is that there were always exceptions to the rule when it comes to what is original. New information is constantly being discovered challenging the accepted "facts". In the case of my 66 I don't think for a minute that the car came with anything but a stock 425 hp L-72 427. I'm sure the mystery engine and markings were done by the first owner, whoever that might be. TRACO was doing some interesting things with Corvette engines about that time in SOCAL so that could be a possibility. If I could just track down one more clue it would surely lead to another. The "Manning-McComb" decal in the glovebox is a good clue but so far I haven't been able to find any history of a dealer by that name nor any race teams, but I don't know much about the racing history of that era.
I spoke to Noland Adams about the car and he couldn't offer any help. He is one of the top Corvette historians and wrote the two volume set 'The Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide Vols. I and II".
I also spoke to Doug Hughes and he was very interested but didn't have anything specific to offer.
Someday I'll stumble onto something. I'll just keep truckin".:dunno

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm curious as to why you think it may have been a race car. The mods and equip you list were very typical of a street BB vet back in the day. Most drag racers were smart enough to not use side pipes and tilt columms, let alone a convertible.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil

One of the Chevrolet dealers that has been around for a long time and is a true Corvette enthusiast is Bob McDorman at Bob McDorman Chevrolet here in Ohio.
I would give him a call if anyone knows if that name existed as a dealer he would.

Attachments

• weblogo.jpg
    weblogo.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 21

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It may not have been raced officially. Maybe the guy just decided to paint stripes on it and replace the original engine with an L-88 and do a little street racing. The fact that the car was built in Nov. 65 and only on the road 6 years logging 47k on the odometer before it was hit low on the drivers side (like a guard rail or something) probably indicates more street use/abuse than anything. But the stencil in the engine compartment is the biggest mystery. Was anyone building 4.31x 3.65 engines then? Why would anyone go to the trouble to stencil that on the pass. inner skirt on bare fiberglass and then paint over it?:scratch

BTW was that your 58 delivery I saw at Turlock in Jan.with a for sale sign on it? Love 58 deliveries.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Turlock in January?

I was there also, one of my favorite events of the year and only 15 minutes from home. I still have a pile of useless stuff to prove I was there!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was there also, one of my favorite events of the year and only 15 minutes from home. I still have a pile of useless stuff to prove I was there!

It's a long drive for me (about 13-14 hrs) but it's about the only good meet I go to anymore. I pretty much gave up on Pomona.
I really miss the swaps in Norcal. I lived in Roseville, (Sacramento) from 82-87 and there was a swap meet somewhere in the area just about every weekend. We only have about 3 or 4 a year here.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Next time you talk with Doug..........tell him Phil says Howdy!!!!

Phil,
I don't know if I'm supposed to say anything but Doug told me he has added a real mystery motor to his collection. I haven't seen it yet. the last time I was at his place discussing my 61 block, he showed me a mystery motor intake and some other exotic goodies. He's a walking enclyclopedia of muscle car and racing history.. Says he's fed up and wants to move to Spain. Don't know what that's all about.:dunno

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of my good friends is/was a Deputy Sheriff. He was able to search VINs for me, they have access to DMV data base. He retired last year so I'll ask if he can still get it done. Finding some more previous owners will be your best resource. I'll let you know, may take a week or so.