Mystery Motor info

Jesse: You bring up a good point, I wondered too, but I can't figure the indentations on one side for where the hold down bolts go and none on the other. As Richard points out, the holes for the PCV would be on the top (towards intake side, and the sure look like GM. But the Mystery and MK IV only have 3 bolts up there (from all the pictures we've ever seen. Prototype?. We'd have to hold them in our hands to really know (I'd like to see the bottom). I KNOW all the MK II's had drippers but I don't notice indentations for spot welds.

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Fran Preve said:
Jesse: You bring up a good point, I wondered too, but I can't figure the indentations on one side for where the hold down bolts go and none on the other. As Richard points out, the holes for the PCV would be on the top (towards intake side, and the sure look like GM. But the Mystery and MK IV only have 3 bolts up there (from all the pictures we've ever seen. Prototype?. We'd have to hold them in our hands to really know (I'd like to see the bottom). I KNOW all the MK II's had drippers but I don't notice indentations for spot welds.
Someone is pulling your chain, looks like two MKIV covers welded together to BS everyone at the swap meet. Unless Chevrolet made a "super mystery" V10!!! (a joke) I am a little surprised that you guys would fall for this one. TS

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
"But the Mystery and MK IV only have 3 bolts up there (from all the pictures we've ever seen. Prototype?. We'd have to hold them in our hands to really know (I'd like to see the bottom). I KNOW all the MK II's had drippers but I don't notice indentations for spot welds."

====

I have pictures of a Mystery Motor, taken by,(I seem to remember his handle was AceFocal from the orginal boards, at one of the musuems, don't recall with one, but it clearly shows only 4 holes on the exhaust side of the valve cover and only 2 gaskket locating slots.. Can't tell about the intake side.
Thos valve cover look like Pontiac valve cover to me,but that just a fooggy old memory I have...09

There was something to buy at Smokeys rummage sale besides old Autobuyer magazines.These were cast and machined for a Carter AFB then they used an adapter to install the Holley carb.

Attachments

• april 21 005.jpg
    april 21 005.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 167

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Winters Manifold

Wow - this manifold opens up a pandoras box- So the Winters foundry was involved with the mystery motor..so...........where are all these lost casting molds

Was this a Smokey design since it was at his shop?

heres another rare piece but a dual quad that looks like a 409 manifold but its for a ? bbc?

Attachments

• raredualquad.jpg
    raredualquad.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 161
Mark: is there any casting ID on it?. Looks 409 but for a big block. Mystery?. Compare it to a Mark IV manifold, the Mystery motor and Mark IV won't interchange.

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
oil4kids said:
Wow - this manifold opens up a pandoras box- So the Winters foundry was involved with the mystery motor..so...........where are all these lost casting molds

Was this a Smokey design since it was at his shop?

heres another rare piece but a dual quad that looks like a 409 manifold but its for a ? bbc?
Mark, where did you get the picture of the dual four manifold? I am involved in the Mystery Motor project that was featured in Chevy Rumble recently. We are building a mystery powered 63 Biscayne for drag racing. Hayden Proffitt has agreed to drive it, providing we can get it done before we all get to old!! We have all the aluminum Z-11 parts and we are building it pretty much as it would have been built in 1963. I found the engine in Pennsylvania about 8 years ago. My friend, Roger Sartino, with whom I am doing the project, recently found a nos dual four intake for the mystery motor. Since this motor was run on NASCAR tracks with a single four, this would indicate that quite possibly Chevrolet intended to put this engine on the drag strip. If not, why would they bother casting a dual four intake. Too bad Chevrolet pulled out of racing in 63. We are building the drag car that Chevrolet should have, and may have, built in 63. Ed409chevy

Attachments

• Haydens 63 revised.jpg
    Haydens 63 revised.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 122

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Graet Picture !!
Hope you get that engine done so you can have the car at the convention !!,, dq

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
DQ, we would love to have the car at the convention, but Roger has a big land development project that he is tied up with and I am finishing my new building for all my cars. We are doing a repaint on my all original 62 Biscayne 409-409 car that I am bringing to the convention, so that will tie me up for most of the summer. Current plans are to work on it this winter and have it ready sometime next year. We hope to run in the 10 second bracket with it. Ed409chevy

oil4kids

Well Known Member
manifold

Ed

this manfold was picked up at a michigan swap meet and then sold on ebay a few months back. Ive never seen one like this again.

ed409chevy said:
Mark, where did you get the picture of the dual four manifold? I am involved in the Mystery Motor project that was featured in Chevy Rumble recently. We are building a mystery powered 63 Biscayne for drag racing. Hayden Proffitt has agreed to drive it, providing we can get it done before we all get to old!! We have all the aluminum Z-11 parts and we are building it pretty much as it would have been built in 1963. I found the engine in Pennsylvania about 8 years ago. My friend, Roger Sartino, with whom I am doing the project, recently found a nos dual four intake for the mystery motor. Since this motor was run on NASCAR tracks with a single four, this would indicate that quite possibly Chevrolet intended to put this engine on the drag strip. If not, why would they bother casting a dual four intake. Too bad Chevrolet pulled out of racing in 63. We are building the drag car that Chevrolet should have, and may have, built in 63. Ed409chevy

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
Mark, I believe that is the only dual four intake ever made for the mystery engine. I'm quite sure it is the one Roger now owns. AT least, it has found a good home and will eventually be seen at future drag race events.Thanks for the answer. Ed409chevy. :cheers

brisbane47

Well Known Member

It appears that you have a single carb manifold for the MKII. They came machined for the AFB, then a 1/2" aluminum plate adapted the holley carb. The double four barrel intake would be an extremely rare piece if it does fit the MKII. Working just with the NASCAR application, it is something that we would have had no concern with at the time. It would be very interesting to know what they had in mind if it is indeed for the MKII. Thanks for the picture. TS