MYSTERY MOTOR & Z-11

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Exciting day!

Fired up the Mystery Motor a few hours ago!

First time it’s run since 1963, 55 years ago!

A friend of mine I finally talked out of it, bought it at Smokey’s sales in 1988 or 89, I forgot which.
Anyway, we have been working on it for some time and really glad we got it finished!!

Have a few videos I want to post.
Bob, please show me how to post a video of it running. Keep getting a prompt that says nope, not gonna work:)

EF0D1CF7-CD1A-430B-918D-EBF45342FFE0.jpegB4A8F5D8-9AFA-436A-BB0F-A1E6056ABEE4.jpeg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was at that auction also and looked closely at the 7/8 car but I really couldn’t tell where the 1/8th went. I also remember the Mustang Smokey built that was untouchable!
Robert

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Robert I’m like you. I always wondered how he cut 1/8th off.

If 1/8 of a car 197” long was cut off 1/2 of that is 98.5”, 1/4 is 49.25” and 1/8 is 24.65” or 2 feet cut out of the car.

I’ve only seen it once and the roof rails and bumpers were altered and the bumper mods probably got a few inches. Who ever has the car today can tell us for sure, sectioned body, ends of the doors cut, etc.
I’m not saying he didn’t make it happen, he was a genius for sure, just interested in where.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I was at that auction also and looked closely at the 7/8 car but I really couldn’t tell where the 1/8th went. I also remember the Mustang Smokey built that was untouchable!
Robert
I never really believed he did. I was working a race at Rockingham where he had the car and I didn't notice it being smaller. Curtis Turner was driving it and got in a wreck. I remember saying to Smokey that I hated that the car got destroyed and his comment was "don't matter, I wasn't going to run it anymore"

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Kind of like the guy that bought the Strickler 62 Bubbletop that he and Jenkins set up.
At least this story is what I was told, LOL

Seems the guy that bought it several years later wrecked one of the rear 1/4 panels, he went to replace it and it did not fit. He called either Jenkins or Strickler and they laughed, said yes it was modified when they moved the rear axle forward slightly.

LOL LOL, who really knows if Jenkins did or if Smokey did!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Pat not that it makes too much difference but I thought the “AWB” car was the 63 Z-11.
Robert