Name THIS FAMOUS CAR!!!....Phil can't play

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
"I'm not up on posting photos here....but maybe we can impose on Dennis to post a photo when the car is lettered."

Well now............After All..............I am you're OFFICIAL spokesman!..... No problem or imposition at all!!!!!
You don't have to worry about the mule, Mr. Cambell,........ you just load the wagon!! :pop:drinking:pop

That's what my poor ole' Daddy said...................

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looking over the postings it looks like a really fast build. We all know better. At this point
Looking over the postings it looks like a really fast build. We all know better. At this point we are getting close to 1000 hrs. The car was rusty down low...trunk...floors...quarters. I guess we could have patched everything back together...but it would have been just that...pieced together. Instead we chose to change everything at factory joints....all the floor...wheel houses...and quarters. The car is at the sign shop and will probably be there a while. The shop is really busy....doing all of Prime Trucking's stuff. Like most sign shops everything today is vinyl. Luckly the fellow who owns the shop started pinstriping and lettering in the 60s. Many of the old race cars in southern Missouri were lettered by Charlie Furr. The car has it own special space in the shop. Charlie works on the project early in the morning before they get too busy.

I'm not up on posting photos here....but maybe we can impose on Dennis to post a photo when the car is lettered.

Hmmm...and everyone thought I was a Hemi man!!! Yes...I still have some Chevy stuff left!!

Robert?? HEMI MAN?? Who said HEMI'S?

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What are you doing about the front crossmember cutout? Maybe just box it for pan removal.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
yep, have had the division 2 dixie rebels nhra sticker on the back for 22 yrs

Oh so you’re the neighbor I wish I had, doing burnouts in the driveway and posting on youtube haha I love your 63 sounds great looks good too.

As most know not a factory built Z-11.

Did not know that. Interesting. So did this car have any aluminum on it??

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Oh so you’re the neighbor I wish I had, doing burnouts in the driveway and posting on youtube haha I love your 63 sounds great looks good too.

Did not know that. Interesting. So did this car have any aluminum on it??

Yes...The car was owned by Doc Santore and Ed Anderson. They tried to order a Z11 but missed the deadline. Eddie Schartman was driving a second Nicholson owned car for Don. With Don's help the parts were ordered and installed on a base impala hardtop. The car was built to about the same specs as Nicholson's Z11. The 3 raced the car for the 63 season...Eddie driving ofcourse. I have the original title...the car was financed with GMAC for $4300...enough to cover the cost of the car and Z11 parts. At the end of the 63 season the car sold to Neil Smith and was raced as the Earl Evan's White Tornado. From there the car went to K C and was raced locally.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's a quote from a post by Raj...

The parts manager at Jackshaw Chevrolet was good friends with Don Nicholson who Don helped with ordering the Z-11 stuff including a QM shortblock through his channels. The Impala was taken down to Nalley Chevrolet and set up by Platt and Nicholson and raced by Eddie soon afterwards. Eddie managed to put Strickler and his Z-11 on the trailer at Dragway 42 at a meet down there in '63. With all said and done if the price is right, it would be nice to preserve this car. I spoke to Eddie about the car back in '98 and he enjoyed the car before teaming up with Nicholson in end of '63 and raced the '62 bel air for Nicholson.

And here's a color picture of the car that Jody had posted on an earlier thread...

zzzcdwa.jpg

It's nice to see this car getting the kind of restoration it deserves. :beer

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Neil Smith sold the car to JC Moore of KC in Jan. 1966. While the car was in KC....A fellow from Washington state was visiting our friend Donnie Shaffer. On that visit he bought the hood and fenders off the Tornado. The car was probably fitted with metal and raced locally. JC sold the car and it went back up north where it was refitted with another set of aluminum fenders and hood. This is when the blue scoop hood appeared. It is beginning to look like the replacement hood was one used on Nicholson's car for a while...perhaps the fenders too. In a convoluted way the original fenders returned and are currently installed on the car. Metal work and paint are being done in a local shop...a fellow I have know for a while. Rod Inman....