Nasty weather

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Steve. Just got done pouring 142 yard drive way last week.
WOW, thats a lot of concrete!!! That much hard surface would make my sewer bill go through the roof. Our sewer district here in the St. Louis area takes an aerial photo of your property and in addition to your regular bill they charge you for how much impervious surface you have, they say all runoff of hard surface (roofs, pavement etc.) they have to handle as they own all the storm sewer system also. Pretty soon there will be some kind of charge for the air we breath. LOL

Junky

Well Known Member
Just got our power back on from last Tuesday's storm, and if another one hits us later this week, it will be another week without power. The tops of the trees were sheared off, and tossed into the wires, and then they were spun around tangling the wires into knots. Went through 45 gallons of diesel fuel keeping the generator going a few hours at a time to keep the refrigerator and freezer from going into meltdown.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just got our power back on from last Tuesday's storm, and if another one hits us later this week, it will be another week without power. The tops of the trees were sheared off, and tossed into the wires, and then they were spun around tangling the wires into knots. Went through 45 gallons of diesel fuel keeping the generator going a few hours at a time to keep the refrigerator and freezer from going into meltdown.
Running a generator is not an econimacal way to make electricity but sometimes a necessity. Back before I retired and our company would do a lot of home installations of generators I would tell people how expensive it was to run their generator, sometimes they didn't believe me but they did after their first power outage. Lol

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
WOW, thats a lot of concrete!!! That much hard surface would make my sewer bill go through the roof. Our sewer district here in the St. Louis area takes an aerial photo of your property and in addition to your regular bill they charge you for how much impervious surface you have, they say all runoff of hard surface (roofs, pavement etc.) they have to handle as they own all the storm sewer system also. Pretty soon there will be some kind of charge for the air we breath. LOL

Uuh that’s called a rain tax here in Maryland! Thought Maryland was the only rain tax. Yes the reason your sewer district is doing that is generally they already have the legal power to bill misc tax charges like Maryland’s flush tax. Also doing it that way keeps those taxes an arms length from the land tax authorities and the county commissioner’s body.
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Went down to Cedar Rapids to see my shooting buddy and my Daughter this afternoon. Phones and texts not working but email is. Much more damage down that way. Looks like I was on the nw corner of the storm. This is the largest storm of this magnitude I've seen in Iowa. Unbelievable destruction. IMG_20200811_142325085.jpgIMG_20200811_141623381.jpgIMG_20200811_140445680.jpgRadio said 10 million crop acres affected. Waiting lines in gas stations all over. No power in lots of areas.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That is bad Dave. Sometimes corn comes back but the field you showed us won’t have a decent yield so those destroyed grain bins won’t be needed. Oh the first photo those rubber marks look interesting. I didn’t know you drove your 409 on that trip
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It's been very dry the last couple of weeks. A critical time due to the corn pollenating. Dry weather really hurts the yield.

Also saw a lot of seed corn that took a hit. A lot of that grown around here also. That will increase prices next year.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not good, going to be a huge economic impact for that area.
I also heard estimates of about 10 million acres of corn impacted throughout the I states amounting to somewhere between 200-400 million bushels of reduced production.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm about 20 miles North of James (LA hotrod) and while we had maybe 3 inches of rain in an hour, it wasn't as windy and it mostly came straight down. A few leaves and dead branches in the driveway but nothing like what you guys had.

Grandkids are coming out to visit from both KC and from StL, hope to get a round of golf in while the boys are in town with their families. Last time they were out the younger one had an "albatross" (double Eagle) on the opening hole Par 5. Nothing like starting your round 3 under par :). The odds of a double eagle are greater than a hole in one!

334 yards on the drive, 188 out with a 7 iron, one bounce and in the cup. Takes me four shots just to get in the same zipcode :).

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I'm about 20 miles North of James (LA hotrod) and while we had maybe 3 inches of rain in an hour, it wasn't as windy and it mostly came straight down. A few leaves and dead branches in the driveway but nothing like what you guys had.

Grandkids are coming out to visit from both KC and from StL, hope to get a round of golf in while the boys are in town with their families. Last time they were out the younger one had an "albatross" (double Eagle) on the opening hole Par 5. Nothing like starting your round 3 under par :). The odds of a double eagle are greater than a hole in one!

334 yards on the drive, 188 out with a 7 iron, one bounce and in the cup. Takes me four shots just to get in the same zipcode :).
Ahh, youth. A 7 iron in my prime was good for 160 yds for me. Of course I didn't take up the game until my mid-thirties when all my good "stuff" was just about used up!