Nasty weather

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I played for about three years and came to the conclusion that I suck at it and figured there were other things I could do while drinking beer. I could hit it a mile.........just never knew which way it would go.
My boys on the other hand are pretty good golfers, musta got it from their mother.

Clint

Well Known Member
I'm about 20 miles North of James (LA hotrod) and while we had maybe 3 inches of rain in an hour, it wasn't as windy and it mostly came straight down. A few leaves and dead branches in the driveway but nothing like what you guys had.

Grandkids are coming out to visit from both KC and from StL, hope to get a round of golf in while the boys are in town with their families. Last time they were out the younger one had an "albatross" (double Eagle) on the opening hole Par 5. Nothing like starting your round 3 under par :). The odds of a double eagle are greater than a hole in one!

334 yards on the drive, 188 out with a 7 iron, one bounce and in the cup. Takes me four shots just to get in the same zipcode :).
That's a good poke!! I would hit a 5 iron from there.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just got power back on today in DSM, internet came back too. There are still some 23,000 DSM customers without power so we are lucky. I had the boys and Sara in the Coal room/down stairs shelter are before the storm hit here. It was nuts. I was standing in the shelter door opening holding the door open and watching trees bend over and touch the ground. We set on the highest part of the area but we are surrounded by a number of 100+ year old Mulberry Trees. We lost a couple of large limbs but they are up on the tree 50' off the ground and no way to get them down until later. About a month ago we went around and trimmed everything back and were able to get most of the dead wood out and That probably spared us. Clean up our little mess and headed 3 houses down with my chain saw. They lost a 100' plus tall Oak that only flattened a fence. 4 chain saws over 24" going for 3 hours and we barely made a dent in this massive tree. LOL! Setting in the back 40 of 9 acres so the main body will stay put. Did I mention the forest of POISON IVY! I have never seen so much of it in my life. I came home and used FELS-NAPTHA soap and haven't had any issues. What a storm! :hide

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just got power back on today in DSM, internet came back too. There are still some 23,000 DSM customers without power so we are lucky. I had the boys and Sara in the Coal room/down stairs shelter are before the storm hit here. It was nuts. I was standing in the shelter door opening holding the door open and watching trees bend over and touch the ground. We set on the highest part of the area but we are surrounded by a number of 100+ year old Mulberry Trees. We lost a couple of large limbs but they are up on the tree 50' off the ground and no way to get them down until later. About a month ago we went around and trimmed everything back and were able to get most of the dead wood out and That probably spared us. Clean up our little mess and headed 3 houses down with my chain saw. They lost a 100' plus tall Oak that only flattened a fence. 4 chain saws over 24" going for 3 hours and we barely made a dent in this massive tree. LOL! Setting in the back 40 of 9 acres so the main body will stay put. Did I mention the forest of POISON IVY! I have never seen so much of it in my life. I came home and used FELS-NAPTHA soap and haven't had any issues. What a storm! :hide
I'll bet you keep your cars inside in the spring time with all those Mulberry trees, purple bird poop stains the paint. Lol

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll bet you keep your cars inside in the spring time with all those Mulberry trees, purple bird poop stains the paint. Lol
Yep. I will say though that we have some of the few Mulberry trees around here and they are surrounding all 4 sides of us. With my house, garages and driveway situated in the middle of the 3/4 acre we really don't see much droppings on the property. I think they come get what they want and head back where every they come from without crossing over the middle much. We have an all white pop up camper setting in the driveway now for the last month and I has yet to get one drop on it of berries. Just the way the property is set up. The male trees are on the North/South sides and the Females are on the East/west sides.

Junky

Well Known Member
A California business man, while in Japan for some business meetings and a few rounds of golf, arrived in Tokyo a day earlier than expected. Feeling lonely that evening, he employed the services of a beautiful young Japanese girl to be his companion for the evening. Although the Japanese girl spoke very little English and the businessman spoke no Japanese, their passion roared and in the heat of the moment she began yelling "Gama Su!, Gama Su!". Hearing this, the Californian knew he had pleased his female Japanese friend and soon afterwards went to sleep. The next day while playing golf with his Japanese business colleagues, one of his Japanese partners holed his shot from 170 yards away! Everyone went crazy and began yelling excitedly in Japanese. Wanting to impress his friends, the Californian joined in and began yelling, "Gama Su! Gama Su!" Suddenly everyone became quiet. After a moment of silence, one of the Japanese turned to him and asked "Wrong hole? What do you mean wrong hole?"

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just heard on the local news that the 2008 500 year flood that devastated Cedar Rapids affected 14 acres of the city. This storm affected ALL 75 acres of the city. Way too much going on in the national news for coverage here in the midwest. My SIL's boss is flying in to view the damage because he doesn't believe it happened because of no coverage on the national news. Also the investor for the sign company my Son works for is doing the same.

Is everyone really taken in by the news media in today's world, what they say, and what they DON'T SAY???????? It's like letting your GPS take you out on a dirt road during a blizzard................WTF

Iowa is the largest corn and second largest soybean producing State in the US. They say we lost 1/3 of the crops here. Maybe the news media will pay attention when the price of corn flakes and bean soup:facepalm goes sky high. Then the grain prices world wide will go up causing the price of beef and pork to increase. We all know who's fault it is.

What's coming next for 2020....................LOCUSTS......................:doh:good

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just heard on the local news that the 2008 500 year flood that devastated Cedar Rapids affected 14 acres of the city. This storm affected ALL 75 acres of the city. Way too much going on in the national news for coverage here in the midwest. My SIL's boss is flying in to view the damage because he doesn't believe it happened because of no coverage on the national news. Also the investor for the sign company my Son works for is doing the same.

Is everyone really taken in by the news media in today's world, what they say, and what they DON'T SAY???????? It's like letting your GPS take you out on a dirt road during a blizzard................WTF

Iowa is the largest corn and second largest soybean producing State in the US. They say we lost 1/3 of the crops here. Maybe the news media will pay attention when the price of corn flakes and bean soup:facepalm goes sky high. Then the grain prices world wide will go up causing the price of beef and pork to increase. We all know who's fault it is.

What's coming next for 2020....................LOCUSTS......................:doh:good
Locusts? Great, thanks for the heads up Dave. We are all doomed. LOL!