National Hot Rod Reunion

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'll be leaving this afternoon. Jim is there with the car now. Anyone who is going please stop by our pit. I'd like to meet everyone from the board that comes to the HRR. Russ Campbell will be there with his Red 62 Pro Nostalgia Belair. Rusty will be in attendance but the car is ready.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I will be there but the car can't make it. This weekend the upper control arm broke loose and the rearend pitched up trashing the driveshaft yoke and the shocks. I will have the car ready for the Blue Suede Cruise and will not test it the weekend before.
QS409

This is very disappointing news, :cry I was looking forward to seeing your car again :doh

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm hoping to to make it Saturday.Friday after work, I need to pick up a trunkfull of castings and get them to the foundry late Friday. I'll try and bring a head down that's been machined for show and tell. Look forward to seeing Da Boys! Region Rat

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob, i will be there early in the morning, about an hr. and 20 min. drive for us. looking forward to seeing your new cyl. head. our gang left this morning, should already be there. i will be somewhere around Jimmie Stevens black 63 belair.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Here are some pictures from the Hot Rod Reunion. Our members cars ran great(mostly) but I'll let them take it from there. Since I had no car there I was like a kid at the Hershey Chocolate factory! Ray AKA "fatride" sure cooks a good no frills meal!!

Not only does Ray's Car run great he also takes time to "cruise" between runs
NHRAHotRodReunion129.jpg

Denny & Ray's Car's looking good at Denny's trailer just before a run
NHRAHotRodReunion131.jpg

These pictures don't show the great details of Jim's Phantom 409
NHRAHotRodReunion060.jpg

A good launch by Denny
NHRAHotRodReunion141.jpg

The MacKenzie's car with "Dick the crew chief" helping stage
NHRAHotRodReunion081.jpg

Another consistant run of Ray's
NHRAHotRodReunion142.jpg

Blue Screamer at launch
NHRAHotRodReunion145.jpg

Here's what happens when someone brings several Aluminum 409cylinder heads to Denny's trailer. Attracts like ants to sugar!!
NHRAHotRodReunion226.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You meet the GREATEST people.....

at the Hot Rod reunion! :clap

And you miss a lot of great people too.. Had a really interesting conversation with Gearhead409, and the lovely lady accompanying him! Super people! Bob W hung out with Denny and Bo and brought some samples of his aluminum goodies. You gotta see those heads!

Took a few pictures, missed a bunch. Here are some from yesterday and today. I apologize in advance for mis-spellings. :bang

Tim Kilkery's 63 - Neighbor and friend of Denny's. Talked a while with Tim's dad Bill.
Bill_TimKilkery.jpg

Rick & Linda Dally's 62 409 Super Sport made the trip from Canada. More fantastic people! You need get Rick to talk about his 62s. He has some great stories. I wish I had more time to talk with them.
Rick_LindaDally.jpg

Jim also made it from Onterio. What a beautiful car!
Jim.jpg

Robert made it in from down the peninsula. Here he is taking a break.
RobertStreet.jpg

It got pretty hot in Columbus, here's Rusty in the shade of Russ's trailer trying to keep cool.
Rusty.jpg

Staging lane pics
Allan made it for the weekend but I lost track of him in the staging lanes.
AllenGeorge.jpg

More in the next post........

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
More staging lane pics

Denny looks like he's giving up but actually put on a good showing this weekend.
DennyFord2.jpg

Bo keeping an eye under the hood as Denny warms up.
DennyFord.jpg

Jim S made the show just as Gearhead said he would.
JimmyStevens.jpg

Ray and the Fatride made it. What a sweet ride! :brow
Ray.jpg

Valerie's car is always in the running too!
ValerieMcCombs.jpg

Vern Jr had his dad's car out.
Vern1.jpg

VernGriffith.jpg

We were there, here's Jim, had fuel problems most of the weekend. Finally got it pretty well sorted out thanks to Larry Perkins.
JimMacKenzie.jpg

Last but not least...Russ and Susan's beautiful Belair.
RussCampbell.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Last post....I promise

Now the bad news. Bobby and Sylvia Crouse brought Sylvia's 62 Biscayne to the HRR from Elkton MD. Sylvia had problems on her first run Friday and hit the wall on both sides of the track. Sylvia was banged up pretty badly with sprains and strains, a cracked rib and bruises. She spent a couple nights at the hospital. Bobbie told us they were taking her home today. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Sylvia.

Pictures taken by Roger Richards:
http://gallery.competitionplus.com/main.php?g2_itemId=605861

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
O Man !!:eek:
I hope Sylvia is OK,,
Watching the pictures of her crash she hit that wall really hard !!

It looks like she was knocked out,,wish her the best,,

Dam shame,,, car is wasted

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Bob and Sylvia Crouse

Hope all is well with Sylvia! Bob is our President for MANDRA, and Sylvia is the Treasurer, both are really Great people! We look forward to seeing her again at the track!
Steven

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Dick Mackenzie

thank you for your kind words. Bonnie and i had a very good time meeting everyone. she is on this website as much as i am. everyone was a joy to meet and very upbeat. it's nice to know there are such good people here. i was on the phone with Jimmie Stevens last night, he couldn't stop talking about you guys and the good time he had. thanks for making him welcome.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For all the guys that couldn't make it to the reunion, plan on it next year . It is like going back in time. Old guys, old cars, one word...WOW!
Once you meet the guys, you're like family. Every one welcomes you. Don't mis it. Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If any members got pictures of non-club cars, try and post them. We had a guy with a front engine rail we talked about on the forum that's set up for 2 motors. He's getting ready to put the second one in. I think he was trying to get it ready for Indy, maybe Super Chevy??
Also an altered with a mechanical Hilborn that's he's been running for decades.Used to run a clutch turbo.
If any one has pictures of guys with non fuel alcohol, please delete. What happens at a reunion, stays at the Reunion. Bob

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob

i talked to the young man that had the blower motor. he is still looking for a large port manifold for the second engine. hasn't had much luck. the guy that had the fuel injected engine used a two four offy manifold, cut the whole top off and mounted a hillborn setup on top of it. some guys can do anything, it looked good! i didn't get to see either one of these cars run, would have loved to though.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gearhead, It was great meeting you and some of the other guys. That blower stuff was wild. That's something I want to build. Maybe toss in some alky?
That Hilborn was from a Max Wedge. Ports are real close. Helps to be a machinist.Bob

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Loren, Any chance that either the guy with the injected car or the guy with the blown car will visit our forum? I sure would like to hear more about them. Seems like there were many non-member w-head engines on site. I will make arrangements to be there next year. Too much good stuff to miss.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie, The injected car is from Missouri, think Phil knows him. The car the Dutchman's something? Talked to him last year too.Hard core. Great guy.We missed you guys too! Bob

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Ronnie i didn't catch their names ( i should have) too excited about their engines. the blower motor was in a red dragster called Gravy 818 Train. with two 409s in it, i understand the 818! i have been to all the eastcoast reunions, it keeps getting bigger. you will get your moneys worth if you can make it next year.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Very Good Photos

Robert & Dick,Very Good camera work guys,I hope you Guys bring your cameras to Norwalk and do some more Good work :D