Need a liittle help from the higher ups

Jridge1

Well Known Member
It got to 4000 during timing test and didnt stall any. It seems more when under load. If I open the throttle quickly the secondarys open momentarily then close. I can see fuel coming out of the secondaries. I will try the exhaust and see what happens

Jridge1

Well Known Member
The fuel filter is new and I attached an electric fuel pump to the line from the tank and pumped fuel there were no air bubbles and a good flow

Jridge1

Well Known Member
It got to 4000 during timing test and didnt stall any. It seems more when under load. If I open the throttle quickly the secondarys open momentarily then close. I can see fuel coming out of the secondaries. I will try the exhaust and see what happens

Jridge1

Well Known Member

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Does the car sit for long periods of time? I have heard of cases where rodents will crawl into the exhaust system and either make a nest or in the case of chipmunks fill the system with nuts. Other than that like others have said, distributor or fuel system. A long shot would be cam timing as in, oops I jumped a tooth!

Last edited:

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Can you duplicate the condition by just reving the engine to the problem rpm area? If so,put your dwell meter onit and watch it's reaction.If it gets irattic,then disconnect the vacuum advance and repeat the test. If it stablizes,then look at the ground wire that runs from the advance plate to one of the screws that hold the vacuum advance.Also,if your points set is one of those "uniset" units,DUMP IT!It sounds like you may be having a situation where that dist.is loosing it's ground.
I did the test as described above and with advance on and with it off the dwell starts at 30 and with the throttle increased fast or slow the dwell goes to 31

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Exhaust off does not change the problem. When I put vaccum gauge on it (with exhaust on) it idles with 16 to 18 inches and if I open it up it monentarilay dips to five then increases. When the plates are closed with engine rpm going down it is at 24 inches

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How about a clogged fuel tank pickup or fuel line? Use a portable tank hooked directly to the fuel pump and take it for a drive. It may show you your problem or at least eliminate a lack of fuel as the cause.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Would the engine act the same way if one or more of the intake passages were clogged. If a mouse got into the intake manifold would it have these same symptoms? I can explain why it idles so smooth if that is the case. I think that will be my next step

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Exhaust off does not change the problem. When I put vaccum gauge on it (with exhaust on) it idles with 16 to 18 inches and if I open it up it monentarilay dips to five then increases. When the plates are closed with engine rpm going down it is at 24 inches
You did not do it correctly , my fault. You have to get rpm where it bogs and hold rpm there.. or you can get a long hose routed to driver seat and drive it to the rpm bog and observe guage which might be easier .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
As you say it starts at 3000 consistent rpm. A short burst of acceleration will not be a true vacuum test.when it bogs the vacuum will decrease lower and stay there while it is bogging

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You could eliminate one possibility by changing out the distributor. Maybe weak coil, sometimes that shows up when a load is put on the engine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
As you say it starts at 3000 consistent rpm. A short burst of acceleration will not be a true vacuum test.when it bogs the vacuum will decrease lower and stay there while it is bogging
What I am implying is that the exhaust could only be restricted enough to get to 3000 rpm ,after that it is not open completely to full rpm .Do the driving test ,that will tell you .

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Sorry I thought I stated the coil was replace. Also the engine only bogs for a second and then gets to full rpm with no load it is only under load that is bogs down and won't go above 3000 rpm. That is in every gear as well it bogs at the same engine speed. I will have to get some hose and take it for a drive and see where the vacuum lies on the bog