Need a little w/strip assistance...

62wagon

Hey guys - I need a little w/strip assistance on the '58. I am working on the front of the doors. Can anyone post me a pic or a good description of what I am understanding to be the "J" w/strip. I am baffled by how this thing goes. My other problem is the a-pillar. It appears there should be a seal on the pillar in the jam up against the interior chrome. If this is the case, where do I go about getting one? Any help you guys could provide would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mark,
You might try contacting Auto City Classic @800 828 2212 In Isanti, Mn. They specialize in 58's and I have found them to be better priced on items I have purchased from them. They list the "J" seals on page 18 of their catalog (part#2044). I haven't gotten to my weatherstrips on my 58 yet as mine are missing these also. They have a complete weatherstrip set Part#2070 which includes these also along with the pillar seals for $229.00. 2044 is $16.00 pr. Their e-mail is autocity@.att.net I'm sure Cecil or another member will provide a picture for you.
Hope this helps a little.:dunno
Ray

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Which model 58 are you working on? I recently did a Brookwood wagon and the J wxstrip mounted on the upper front part of the door that fits under the windshield dogleg. It mounted with push in clips into holes in the door. I checked on my 58 Biscayne 2 dr sedan and it has strips mounted under the winshileld dogleg lof the A pillar instead of on the door. There are no holes in the door for the J strip. On my 58 BA 4 dr hardtop the j strip is on the door. There are 2 strips on the A pillar, one on the inside edge, and one on the outer edge. Neither the wagon nor the sedan has these so I suspect they are only on the hardtops. On the wagon the door wxstrip went around the entire door edge as did the sedan.
I have attached pics but they are not very good as the remains of the wxstrips are not that visible. The first pic shows the remains of the J strip on the door. The second is the remains of the wx strip on the underside of the Dogleg on the A pillar instead of on the door. This could be a running production change or it may have been different on certain models. If you dont have holes on the top of the door for the J strips then look under the dog leg and if it has holes there then thats where the wx strip goes. I don't know if anyone makes this strip though since I haven't seen it on any other car.
Hope this helps.:dunno

Attachments

• BA4drht5.jpg
    BA4drht5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2drsedan2.jpg
    2drsedan2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33