Need a new pet???

Junky

Well Known Member
I have the whole family living near by, and it isn't unusual to find 10 or 12 of them snacking on the lawn in good weather. Today it has been raining on and off, but this little guy keeps on eating. I see him or her all over the property from early morning to late at night. Guess he/she is bulking up for the long winter. When I had big dogs, it was necessary to keep the population down, and make sure to keep the dogs away. My male Weimaraner killed 2 of them, before he learned that the pain wasn't worth the kill. The first time that he tangled with them, he got a mouth full of quills, but the 2nd and 3rd time, he got his revenge. After the 3rd time, the veterinarian said that it was the last time he would pull quills, and that he would put the dog down. Seems that the dog learned the lesson well, and whenever he saw one he would bark at it, until it either wandered away, or it caught some lead. MVC-007L.JPG

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah it sucks that these high priced quacks can call the shots for you on what they'll fix on your critter, time to get a new one. I've never seen a Porky around our parts but we do have Skunks. I have to be careful if I'm over at the garage working at night I had one wander right up to my garage and I had to shut the overhead door because I think it was planning on coming in.

Mark

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We've had skunks get in the garage and shop. Fortunately they didn't spray. My wife left her storage shed open while she was getting stuff out and unbeknownst to her a skunk slipped in and got trapped when she closed the door. She only goes in the shop occasionally….you can imagine what she found when she opened it a few weeks later in the middle of August and a few weeks of 115+. He had exploded and made an unbelievably maloderous (smelly) mess. She bagged him up and I had to haul him off.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That had to suck, its bad enough when they get trapped in there but to kick the bucket in that heat.

Mark

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We have Woodchuck's, living under our back porch.:doh Haven't caused any problems yet.:dunno2 A few of her/his family lives in my Arrow shed, where my rider mower is. :batWent in there, to get the mower out, and the shit and piss almost knocked me out. One of them, crapped on my seat.:bang Cleaned it all out, and mopped the floor, with HOT Bleach water, and sprinked a box of Mothballs on the floor. So far, so good.:clap

Junky

Well Known Member
He has been my veterinarian since he got out of Veterinary school, and an extremely talented doctor. We rapidly became good friends, and I went to his wedding and other family functions ever since. The dog always would get in trouble late at night, and since I had his home number, I would call and he would meet me at the clinic. We both pulled quills for hours, and it is tedious work. In all the years that he practiced, I never was given a bill for any of his services. He would board my dogs when we went away also for free. He retired about 10 years ago, and he still cares for my 19 year old Mini Dachshund, along with my using another local vet for shots and surgery, if needed. Since he has retired, he doesn't do any surgery, and doesn't have the vaccines that dogs require every couple of years. With his help and advise, I was able to keep my last Weimaraner alive for 3 years past the 3 months that two other vets said that he would live, because of intestinal problems. I am certain if the old Weimaraner got into another porcupine, he would be there pulling quills along with me doing the same. My last Weimaraner lived to be 15 years old with all of his problems, and his sister passed away a year later, and I sure do miss them. The last pair of Weimaraners never got into trouble with porcupines, because when they were alive, the population of porcupines was extremely low. The land across the road from our home was logged and that disturbed their habitat. It is only recently that they have come back. They seem to be cyclical, they are around for a few years, and then they disappear, and you don't see them for 6 or 8 years. About 20 years ago, rabies took out most of the raccoons, and other small critters. The raccoon population has never recovered to the numbers that we had before the rabies. The porcupines on the other hand are starting to multiply like rabbits. We are lucky, we don't have skunks around us. Seems that they are more city dwellers since they like to get into the garbage, like raccoons.

ferrousHat2.jpgStarr1.jpgMolly1.jpg

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had a skunk living under my house, wasn't sure it was a skunk until I put a game camera outside and caught him coming and going, but he still sprayed the area luckily he got tangled up with 2 racoons one night they tore him in 2 pieces, the whole area stunk for about 10 days. :sick2

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We have Woodchuck's, living under our back porch.:doh Haven't caused any problems yet.:dunno2 A few of her/his family lives in my Arrow shed, where my rider mower is. :batWent in there, to get the mower out, and the shit and piss almost knocked me out. One of them, crapped on my seat.:bang Cleaned it all out, and mopped the floor, with HOT Bleach water, and sprinked a box of Mothballs on the floor. So far, so good.:clap

How do you know it was a woodchuck that pinched one on your mower seat maybe one of your friends was messing wif you Skip? We had some Chucks that made their nest under the barn floor and the concrete floor ended up collapsing , didn't even know they were under there until the floor collapsed.

Mark