Need differential advice.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 63 currently has a 327, power glide and an open rear end. I have purchased a 340HP 409 to replace the 327 and plans are to beef up the power glide and keep that in the car. I am looking to get around 350-375 HP from the 409 after rebuilding but need advice on rear end and gears. What would be the best ratio for all around drivability but still be able to melt a little rubber? 3:55 is kind of what I am thinking but as I am sure you guys have been down this road many times I would love to get your input. Also, as this is a completely different animal from the 10 and 12 bolt rears I am used to are there any modifications that need to done to the rear end to swap in a posi unit other than changing out the pumpkin?

Also if anyone has parts for sale I would like to hear from them, I have talked to many fine members already who are helping me amass the needed parts for my pride and joy. A big thanks to all who are helping the much less learned.:clap

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd go with a 3.36 or 3.55. There will only be a few hundred RPM difference between them at cruise speed. Either should be "snappy" with the low rpm TQ of the big motor.
There is some grinding in the open case to install a posi and there are pictures on here of it. I've always just bolted in a whole unit so not exactly sure what all you have to do. It may be cheaper to just find a complete used posi chunk with the ratio you want and just bolt it in.