Need Dims From A Stock Height 60 Impala

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm trying to determine how far my 60 has been lowered. I am planning my next move, and need to know how far I need to move the ride height to get the stance that I want. It appears to only be spring lowered. Your help is appreciated. I marked up the photo for relative measurement locations. Basically from the spindle center to the middle on the wheel opening.

How Much Lower.jpg

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don’t have the answer, but do know it is covered in the Assembly Manual for my 63. Likely to be in the 1960 too.

If you don’t have the Assembly Maunal yet, it should be a the top of your list. GM seems to have done a really good job on these manuals and I have found it to be extremely helpful in sorting out all issues of a 57 year old machine. In my opinion, you can not get it soon enough.

Very, very nice car, by the way.

Chip

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks, so far I'm tickled pink with the car.
I've been looking around for factory publications for it, just not there yet.

gwagon

Well Known Member
The front measurement is 14 3/4 .Don't have enough hands to measure rear. The attached picture has dimensions for 61 Chevy most likely the same as 60. The height measurement is from ground to top of roof with factory wheels, tires. Great looking car.

DSC02488.JPG

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
gwagon, thanks for the measurements, 59 and 60 were very similar, can't say that on 61. Not that your wrong, just that since the wheel opening is a datum, I think it's best to see what a stock 60 comes in at. ;)

My plan is down some, a little in the back for stance , think it's to stinky. Still in the planning stages of a little change in attitude.
I promise, whatever I do will be 100% reversible. No cutting of the body or frame, and no bags.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just scaled an image of a stock 60 from the internet. 14.75 in the front (gwagon was spot on) . Mine is 12.25 Guess it is 2.5" lower in the front.
The rear is basically stock.

gwagon

Well Known Member
gwagon, thanks for the measurements, 59 and 60 were very similar, can't say that on 61. Not that your wrong, just that since the wheel opening is a datum, I think it's best to see what a stock 60 comes in at. ;)

My plan is down some, a little in the back for stance , think it's to stinky. Still in the planning stages of a little change in attitude.
I promise, whatever I do will be 100% reversible. No cutting of the body or frame, and no bags.
The front measurement I sent was from a 60 lmpala.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the complements, just to be clear, I don't dislike the current stance, just exploring the options. I don't think putting it in the weeds is where I want to go, but where ever it ends up will be all spring and no bags or active ride height adjustment system.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the complements, just to be clear, I don't dislike the current stance, just exploring the options. I don't think putting it in the weeds is where I want to go, but where ever it ends up will be all spring and no bags or active ride height adjustment system.

I see nothing wrong with the airbag systems..... you get the best of both worlds....... you can set it where you like it ......where it has to be to drive it .........and you can drop it in the weeds........ where I think every car looks good

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I'm trying to determine how far my 60 has been lowered. I am planning my next move, and need to know how far I need to move the ride height to get the stance that I want. It appears to only be spring lowered. Your help is appreciated. I marked up the photo for relative measurement locations. Basically from the spindle center to the middle on the wheel opening.

View attachment 84384
This will have all the information your looking for. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1960-Chevrolet.pdf

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Don. :bow

Any chance of getting the rear measurement?
:crazy:doh Honest I did look at my postings. I didn't see it. :tired I shall remove the new one.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I came that by measuring a scaled online image. Just marginally reliable. Nothing beats a real measurement.