Need help identifying plastic

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I found this slab of plastic in my parents garage. It's approximately 2" thick an a little over a foot square. How can I figure out what material it is? Appears to be some type of plastic. It has circular saw marks on the edges and does not appear to have melted when it was cut.20180525_071349.jpg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Looks like UHMW-PE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It is slippery stuff usually used for slideways, bearings, etc. Also cutting boards.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like UHMW-PE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It is slippery stuff usually used for slideways, bearings, etc. Also cutting boards.

Are there any kind of "tests" that I can perform to verify? Melt temperature, burn color, scrape or cut with a saw?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Question is when you find out what type it is, what are you going to do with it???:dunno Did they fish?? Maybe used as a fish butchering block .

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Bob!
Question is when you find out what type it is, what are you going to do with it???:dunno Did they fish?? Maybe used as a fish butchering block .
Once I can figure out what type plastic it is, I'll have to figure something to make or a use for it. I don't see any blood stains so I don't think my dad or brother butchered anything on it. But you never know.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
The easiest way to test if it is UHMW is to run your finger across the surface. UHMW will feel "oily" to the touch. Delrin, nylon and Teflon will not.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
By any chance could it be a sheet of CORIAN that used in sinks and counter tops.

Dave

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could be marine Starboard? Does it feel really hard or kinda soft? Starboard is solid but kinda soft.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sorry Jim,
I’ve used Corian in my home, it was already per-cut. But have no idea as to how to tell
Was reading about Corian and if you should work with Corian you should use some type of breathing Device as it’s a heavy dust that could damage your lungs. It’s all I know.

Dave

bobs409

Administrator
I'm giving my guess of Delrin but I could be wrong. It comes in black and natural white. It's very hard and has a good amount of weight. If it is, that slab is worth some money. I'd ebay it if you can verify that. Even if it's another kind of plastic, that's a big chunk and should be worth some money.

I don't think it has a specific use in the size it is in, but rather stock material to make something from. Probably came from a manufacturing plant that someone worked at. (nobody will miss this one little piece) :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for all the replies. I'll see how it cuts and machines to see if I can use this for something.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We use that UMHW stuff for all kinds of things at work. All of our crankshaft carts are lined with it, anything that blocks, cranks, heads, transmission cases,etc. need to slide on is lined with it. I brought home an old bench with it on top and use it a lot. As someone said, it's crazy expensive.

bobs409

Administrator
Turned a black delrin shifter knob today for the Jeep with my home made ball turning tool. Knob is just under 2 inches (1.94) Will try sanding it with some finer grits yet, the way it's shown is from the cutting tool and some quick file action. From what I heard, it doesn't really shine up too well. Still thinking if I want to do a 5 speed shifter pattern on it or not. Will do another just like it for the 4WD shifter.

DSCN1617.jpgDSCN1618.jpgDSCN1619.jpgDSCN1620.jpgDSCN1621.jpgDSCN1622.jpg