Need help on a 61

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Hello

Have not been here for awhile do Ck whats going on.

I bought a 61 today Try to fig out if its a real SS.

This is what I know

Has SS emblem on quarters, On trunk has a V with SS at the Top
has grab Bar. has a trimed glove box door.I can not remember if they had that.

I has org. black paint,red int.

Vin 11737S233763

61-1837 body SL23478

Acc 1 B-A paint 900

I look at SS emblem from inside truck and they look to be as old as trim bolts. I can tell firewall has not been paint or out side for that matter. Trim plate looks it has not been touch or Vin tag it is spot welded.

Thanks Dale

bobs409

Administrator
Dale, here's an exerpt from our FAQ page:

1961-The first year of the Supersport. There were only 453 Supersports made in this first year but in order to be a true SS, the car would have to have a 348 or 409 engine as there were no small block or 6 cylinder SS cars in this year. It was available with 5 choices of powerplants including; 305hp 348 w/4 speed, 305hp w/powerglide, 340hp w/4 speed, 350hp w/4 speed, and the 360hp 409 w/4 speed.

All had higher rate springs and heavy duty shocks as well as power steering and power brakes with sintered metallic brake linings. All had a steering column mounted Sun tachometer and the special sender unit to operate it would be bolted to the inner fender in the engine compartment.

The Supersports would also have all the SS emblems or special trim inside and out, padded dash, simulated knock off wheel covers

I'd also remove the grab bar and see if one or both holes are oval shaped. The factory used oval holes. If someone added the grab bar, odds are they didn't know this and would have drilled round holes.

We have some 61 experts around here so maybe one will chime in and set us straight. :D

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dale,
According to the information you provided, this was originally a 6 cly. car. This is an example of a Vin number showing the car to be a 6 and cowl tag indecating it was a V8. However, so far as I know, all of the cowl tags indecated V8's.
You didn't say but I assume this car has a 348 motor. What horse power is it? What transmission?
Some other things to check would be the brakes, if it's a factory built SS it would have had metalic brake shoes, the shoes have probably been replaced but look at the brake hardware, the metalic brakes had return springs about twice as big as the regular brakes did. Also, the metalic brakes had flat wire anti-chatter springs on the front drums, the regular front drums had round wire springs.
Hope this helps
Tommy :cool:

bobs409

Administrator
And there's one of our 61 experts already! :D I was hoping you saw this one Tommy. I always learn something new about 1961 Chevy's when I read your posts. :cheers

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Bob & Tommy

I have been looking for one these for yrs. in good shape Body wise. This is what I was Told, was Drag Race for while still has plates weld to front below bumper for tow bar. Motor was blown up; set for 32 yrs. in a building. This guy worried him for 10 yrs and bought it in 95. Repair motor had problems with again took off road in 96 I have those Tags. couple yrs later started to fix back up. Now it has a LT1 in it 6 speed trans,605 steering box,
disc brakes, Dash has been restore.Shame this guy could not finsh it because his work is excellent what he did.

And he stop,for health reasons.He sold it to a collecter has about,6 cars,said just did have time are room.

I can not decide what to do. keep LT 1, I have a 434 LS1 I have built,Have a Pro-Built 200-R for it. I freind gave Me a set of the good 409 Heads. Would probably give me a block if I ask him. He bought a 62 409-409 Biscayne new in Nov of 61 ran it on road untill Mar. drag race into 80's sat untill 4 yrs ago.Fix it up and its on road again.

Sorry for long reply. Tommy I'm down the road from you on I-81

Thanks Dale