Need help with a-arm splash shields and rear bumper seals

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use stainless steel welding rod and make my own staples(bend them with a needle nose pliers) -match the original staple holes in the inner fenders (drill them out one size larger) to fit the stainless welding rod size. I think the stainless welding rod has a 32 number on it - I can look -it comes in 2 ft sections. The staples that come with the flaps are too short with the thicknesses of the flaps and the inner fender added to together.
Also the stainless welding rod will never rust. Use small pieces of 2 by 4 and rags/towels (to not damage your inner fender paint)to bend the staples to make the staples hold the flaps really tight to the inner fenders.
You have to drill through the flaps to get the staples in the right place and "make the holes"
Paul
I held the flaps up to the wheel well and used a awl to punch through the flap material starting in the center and working outword. It made it easy to locate the staple holes.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
They are different depending on the year model car. All of the 61's that I've owned or seen had the rubber flaps mounted on the engine side of the wheel well just as Dan's picture shows. However, 62's and '63's were opposite, they were mounted on the wheel side of the wheel well. The '61 actually has a groove or flat area for the flap to set in whereas the '62 and 63 has a flange that would make it difficult to mount them incorrectly.