Need help with a build date

W.MOTORS

Hello I would like to find the build date for this car There is no numbers where the date code belongs on the cowl tag its a 1960 El camino Build sheet is long gone as are the orig motor trans and rear
Cowl tag reads
There no are numbers or letters above these
style 60-1280 VIN 1874
trim 803 f paint 936
acc EZW IP FR

The decoder page was very helpful V8 white gray int tinted windshield

Thanks Walt

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Walt,
Gm didn't use body build date on the cowl tag until sometime in 1960. The earliest documented build date is 02D or fourth week in Feb. 1960 so you can assume that your body was built before that date. Also the body number should include the production plant which I am assuming is VN for Van Nuys(Los Angeles) not VIN as you have it listed in your post.It is a low production number considering the assembly line turned out as many as 500 cars a day in some years. I think it safe to assume that your body was built in the first month of production for the 1960 model year . I am not sure whether it was August or September of1959 that production started for the 60 model year but normally it seems to be August. There is data listing the last VIN number of production for each month for some years like the 55-57 but I'm not sure if it exists for the 59-60 production but if you have that info then its a matter of subtraction and division to figure out the daily production rate and thus narrow down the assembly date within a few days. Keep in mind that the body production date is not the same as the car assembly date. The bodies were built in Fisher body plants which may or may not have been also car assembly plants. There could be a time lapse of a day or possibly weeks from the time the body was built until it was assembled into a complete car if it had to be shipped to the assembly plant. I would look at other components for casting dates to give you some confirmation. The differential is probably the most obvious if it hasn't been changed. If you scrape off the grease on the drivers side of the front of the center section or pig you should find the casting date. I would be surprised if it is not August or early September of 59. Just for estimation purposes there were typically 22 work days per month (except Feb). If you know the total number of cars built in a given model year you can divide that by the total work days (22x11, leaving off one month for shifting over the production line to the new model) and get the average daily production rate. Divide that into your VIN number (remember to drop the first 1 from the VIN) to get the approximate number of work days into the year your car was assembled.

Sorry to ramble but I hope this helps.:dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I forgot to mention it but it looks like your El Camino had a padded dash which is pretty unusual . That would be the IP code under accessories. EZW for tinted or EZI windshield. I'm not familiar with the FR but maybe Richard Martin or someone else can help with that one. Neat car!
I remember when I was in high school in 1960 one of the local guys just got a new white 60 El Camino with 335hp 348 and factory 4 spd. The first thing he did was lower it all around and put lakes pipes on it. He was a regular at the local drags with his brother who had a 36 F**d convertible with a 56 Corvette 270hp engine. He later got one of the first 61 409's when they first came out. Yes they had money. Daddy was a local car dealer.:bow

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Old Sky Dog That was an interesting couple of posts. I have some unusual option codes on my 61's plate that no one seems to know. Do you know about some of the 61 codes also..

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
rstreet,
I don't have any special knowledge other than what I have observed in all my years of loving these cars and what I have read. Post em and let everyone take a shot.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob
They weren't on the list so I will send to you with location on the plate. I have always thought someone was being creative in the factory when they made it back in May 61

W.MOTORS

I thank you very much Old Sky Dog for the info I was going nuts trying to find that out .The car belongs to a freind and its a driver 350 350 auto .The rear chunk is dated 57 but it does have the 3/8 fuel line and the 348 fan shroud also its a clutch car but has an aftermarket Tilt column and I haven't got a chance to look at the floor for a hole. And your right it was built in LA

And thank you bob for hooking me up with the password

Walt